Ebay help

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
edited January 2016 in FX
Sold a pedal, tremolo pedal. Buyer says theres a 'thumping sound at even all the different settings'. I'm sure its fine tested it before I sent it industrial bubble wrapped etc. Whats the best way to proceed, if it comes to refunds so I don't lose out on the pedal and the money. I've asked him some questions, Obvious fault finding ones.

Obviously I have to refund him if he asks, because ebays so rigged in the buyers favour. Is it best to get him to open a claim/dispute or ask him to send it back recorded and refund him when it arrives. Any pointers would be much appreciated. How do you folks deal with this situation when it arises. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4558
    edited January 2016
    Can he record a video of it making the sound he suggests it does?

Sometimes people make up faults because they don't like the pedal they have bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Honestly it's easier just to get them to return, refund and take it on the chin.

Most of the time it's a shit PSU they're using. If you can be arsed ask them to plug the effect directly into the amp and run the guitar only into that. Also run it off a battery if it can, otherwise as the only thing on the PSU. If it still does it, just refund.

That said, I have had one or two that have been faulty... So it's not alway buyers remorse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72474
    Step 1: offer a full refund once it has been returned.

Step 2: don't sell it (or anything else) on Ebay.

If you want to try to troubleshoot it with him before doing that...

What pedal is it? What amp is he using it with? What power supply and/or other pedals is he using it with?

Some tremolo pedals will produce a thump through some amps or interact with other pedals on a daisy chain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9572
    juansolo said:
    Honestly it's easier just to get them to return, refund and take it on the chin.

Spot on. You won't win, so it's sometimes easier to be gracious.
  • I had exactly the same thing last year but with a £300 amp.

Seriously you won't win, get the guy to open a returns case, he has to send the pedal back then you refund him. Like juansolo said take it on the chin.

And like icbm said don't sell anything on eBay it's full of dickheads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    I've got no problem refunding I stated that in my original post. And I've asked him all the fault finding questions above already.

I suppose my question should of been what's the best way to go about the refund. If I hear back from him I shall just tell him to open a claim. Thanks.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9572
    If he opens a claim, ypur Paypal will be frozen. Just get him to post it (always Special Delivery imho)
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited January 2016
    He has to tell eBay he wants to return it first though?. Sorry I'm fairly new to selling on there. I just want to make sure I do it within the rules.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30297
    You've learnt early on that ebay is like a try on approval system.
  • If he opens a claim, ypur Paypal will be frozen. Just get him to post it (always Special Delivery imho)
    Mine wasn't when I had a return last year come back to me. It was actually quite painless really. 

It was also painless when I had to return a Diamond Memory Lane which was clearly not working properly. Printed out a return label, pedal went back, tracked all the way, simple. 

juansolo said:

Most of the time it's a shit PSU they're using. If you can be arsed ask them to plug the effect directly into the amp and run the guitar only into that. Also run it off a battery if it can, otherwise as the only thing on the PSU. If it still does it, just refund.

That said, I have had one or two that have been faulty... So it's not alway buyers remorse.
    I've had most problems with people buying digital delay and reverb pedals. They use crap PSU's with them or batteries and wonder why they don't last.