FM Transmitter for iPhone to car radio

What's Hot
TroyTroy Frets: 224
Hi,

I wish to connect my iphone 5S (to listen to podcasts and music) to my car stereo, however the car stereo does not support bluetooth nor has an aux input.

I've been looking at some units that plug into the cigar lighter socket and connects to the iPhone via bluetooth and then stream via FM to the car radio.

Just wondered if anyone can recommend one of those (ideally one you/you've owned) for me please? 

Cheers,

Troy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2016
    I tried one for a bit and it was fine in some places, but not in others. It supposedly searched for the best free FM band and locked into that, but for my drive to work it picked up interference from other stations at certain points along the route and made it unusable.

In the end I went for one that actually plugs into the aerial feed at the back of the stereo, so even though it was using the FM aerial it wasn't actually doing a short range broadcast. 

*edit* Search for wired FM Modulator.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1003
    edited January 2016
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-AVANTEK-Universal-Wireless-Supports/dp/B00RCGLOZA/ref=sr_1_32?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453752187&sr=1-32

I have been using this for the past 6 months and it has been working fine.  I only have a 5 mile commute to work but I have found a frequency that is reliable. Well worth £10.
  • Ive been using one of these for the past 2 years

it was cheaper that the price shown. It works really well and we use it a lot on long or short journeys.   Bluetooth is a must in any future car.

• TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Ive been using one of these for the past 2 years

it was cheaper that the price shown. It works really well and we use it a lot on long or short journeys.   Bluetooth is a must in any future car.
    I've seen that one, whats the clearance from where it protrudes of the socket to the "head"? Reason I ask is that on my car the ash tray and lighter socket are covered by a flip up lid. Worst case situation is that I remove the lid,

Cheers,

Troy
  • I had one but in urban areas it was unusable because the FM frequencies were swamped. If you want a clear signal you should look for one that plugs into the FM aerial on the back of the radio or find someone that does car audio to put a line-in jack in for you. It's a quick job.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24712
    They are all a bit shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2172
    My iPod dock died in my car. And I tried a fm transmitter. Waste of money. Crackle, crackle nothing.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I had one, it was a bit shit.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ive got an FM one for my Ipod classic.. its ok but it is frankly a bit shit
  • @Troy   We got that one due to the flexible are as the poster socket was in an awkward spot.  It works fine in our car but you clearly need to look at you own carefully.    Choosing the right frequency can always be a bit of trial and error.  We have one which is great for 90% of the journeys we do but if we head to our daughters 70 miles away know that half way there we need to change it due to a small local station that swaps the signal for about 10 minutes.

I had one but in urban areas it was unusable because the FM frequencies were swamped. If you want a clear signal you should look for one that plugs into the FM aerial on the back of the radio or find someone that does car audio to put a line-in jack in for you. It's a quick job.
    My last one for my (now dead) ipod was fine with little interference, then again I am in East Anglia...
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    edited January 2016
    Does your stereo aux button?  My 06 Focus didn't have a aux connection but did have an aux button on the head unit. If you've got a button (I think I remember the CD auto changer button can also be used) you can take out the stereo and fit your own aux connection.

I bought a cable that fitted into a spare connection in the back of the unit and at the other end had a male 3.5 jack.  I chopped this off and fitted a female socket and mounted it in the dash.  All you then need is a male to male cable.

I've had FM transmitters in the past and agree with others above in that they're a bit rubbish.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Upgrade to a cassette player and get one of these

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Haha, that's a throwback, i remember having one of these and driving down the A12 in an SRi and every couple of seconds the CD was jumping like a mofo
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I also had one that was a bit shit.

Ive got a different car now though with a stereo that has an AUX input. Much better!

Would it be worth looking on 'an internet based auction site' for a second hand stereo that has an AUX input?

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Use headphones.

Might impair your driving though!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom