Lazy J

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    Can you do a video with the veteran through the Lazy J @Gassage I'd love to hear it through a J40 if you still have it? If not the J20 even
    Sure. It's harder edged than those.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Gassage said:
    Can you do a video with the veteran through the Lazy J @Gassage I'd love to hear it through a J40 if you still have it? If not the J20 even
    Sure. It's harder edged than those.
    Ooooh I'll look forward to viewing/hearing that :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16112
    I know there's a lot of love for the Lazy J on here but having played one extensively for a year I have to say the Gartone Bluesman which is effectively the same is just better sounding and 'bigger' in every way to my ears.
    If you get the chance try one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Dominic said:
    I know there's a lot of love for the Lazy J on here but having played one extensively for a year I have to say the Gartone Bluesman which is effectively the same is just better sounding and 'bigger' in every way to my ears.
    I agree. Gartome are great amps. If only it had a VAC or similar fitted to it I'd have gone with one too 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Spoke to Jessie 

Jessie said he made an a j40 for someone with smaller transformer so a bit like the j35 which is interesting...

his description of j20 v j20H is interesting 

The J20H is a higher powered version of the J20.
    It uses the same circuit, but different transformers.
    The result is that the J20H is slightly more powerful, with a quicker attack that helps the helps it cut through better in a louder band.
    However, this comes at a price...the J20 has this beautiful, harmonically rich midrange.
    Harmonics just ooze out of it.
    This gives the sound a very complex character.
    These harmonics are reduced in the J20H in favor of the fundamental. So you get this punchier response, almost slightly toward black face...
    Most people prefer the J20...including Joe Walsh, who got to try them both, and bought the J20.
    Both amps are in the same ballpark, but my personal desert island amp would be a J20.
    SRV style players like the J20H...

I have to say this, the J20 is not a quiet amp...and depending on how loud you need to be (especially with the clean headroom) it might just tick the boxes.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Dominic said:
    Interesting!

it uses 6v6 more traditionally curcuit.

Same cab size etc?

Breakup must be earlier

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6698
    edited May 2018
    Are there any J20 owners here who have tried swapping out the 6L6s and the Gz34 rectifier for 6V6s and a 5Y3? 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    merlin said:
    Are there any J20 owners here who have tried swapping out the 6L6s and the Gz34 rectifier for 6V6s and a 5Y3? 

Tried it briefly.  Preferred it with GZ34/6L6 and put it back.
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    I did it in my LJ20H and prefer it. Overdrives earlier which is what I was looking for with a lovely sag 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    edited May 2018
    Anyone seen the Lazy J stereo rig Nalle Colt posted on Facebook yesterday? Worth a look. 

• breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    merlin said:

I tried that as well,  but  preferred the 6L6/GZ34 set up

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    JohnPerry said:
    Anyone seen the Lazy J stereo rig Nalle Colt posted on Facebook yesterday? Worth a look. 
    Was it Nalle, I thought someone just tagged him in?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3047
    horsehead said:
    JohnPerry said:
    Was it Nalle, I thought someone just tagged him in?
    Yeah, it was him - it's a Swedish friend of his.

R.
  • smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 148
    also tried switching to 6v6's and 5Y3 on my Lazy J 20, but after a month or so of gigging, I went back to 6L6's for "feel" reasons more than tonal reasons I guess.
    My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar