Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where do you rehearse?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    You know where my house is? Go to the end of the road, turn left and then left again at the cross roads. Carry on past the shops and turn sharp right before the park. Carry on to the bottom of the road and turn left into the car park. I'll be there about 8.00pm

you mean, Turn left at the lights, bout 50 yards down, there's a pub on the corner, I'll meet you inside about a quarter to 8, we're going to town to find out what everybody's been saying ... about us.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    In the drummer's spare room. He plays an e-kit and the rest of us go via iPads and then all through headphones. It's hassle-free and easy.

We occasionally do a full live practice using our PA at the bassist's wife's office, but not anywhere near regularly enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    All sorts.

Last night first rehearsal for the panto band, MDs garage/music room. Minimal gear (practice combo, no FX) and no actors/singers.

Country rock band, we gig so rarely that we meet a week before the gig in the singers flat and sit around the table, practice combo only. No mics.

Funk band, we hire proper rehearsal studios every couple of months like http://www.pioneermusic.co.uk/rehearse.html or http://www.atmusicgroup.co.uk/rehearsal-rooms, again small combos and the house PA (but our mics).
    When working up new material the guys will sometimes meet at the drummers house on a Thursday eve, have a Chinese and go through new ideas. Small combos, often no vocals and electronic kit turned down.

My favourite was when we ran the big soul band and rehearsed on a Monday eve in the 'ballroom/bar' at the back of a local hotel. Again small/minimal gear but we needed our own monitors for the vocals. Easy access and comfortable surroundings with a bar up the corridor.

• Weekly, at the Depot in Edinburgh. Tenner an hour, all backline & PA provided. 

I've used most of Edinburgh's rehearsal places, and since Verden closed up shop I think the Depot is the best sounding place (though it's too cold on really cold days). Previously i'd have said the big room at Verden was best. The Rec Room on Jane street is OK as well, although it's so well damped acoustically that it can sound a bit flat...makes it a good room for sorting out the nuances of a song though.

Most of the other places in Edinburgh I've found to be too small, or providing fairly rubbish backline or PA, or simply too unhygienic...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    We use two rehearsal rooms nowadays but used a community centre up until about 2 years ago (too loud). Currently we either use a purpose converted barn or some converted public toilets - no, they don't smell particularly. Our other guitarist grew up nearby and remembers relieving himself in there many times :) The main thing is there's a bank, chippy, Chinese and 2 pubs right outside.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited January 2016
    Village halls, you have take everything with you but you also get use of the kitchen for teas, coffees, beers (fridge), food prep etc. our band marches on it's stomach.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    EricTheWeary;949575" said:
    I think the general guidance is the further away from Birmingham city centre it is the less shit it is.
    Which one do you use? I know a few bands who aren't happy with Robannas and if you end up in some of the rooms I can see why. That said we have a lockup there and after moving about between a few rooms we eventually found one that's a good size, ground floor next to an exit for easy loading, and doesn't sound too bad with a bit of corner trapping to control the bass. The first one we had had water dripping down the walls, which was less than ideal.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

When we were doing rehearsals at 2020 we charged £12 per hour and for that you got drums, bass and guitar backline. The rooms were large and fitted with HK PA's. We gave em free tea and coffee with the use of a relaxation room with large screen TV and Wi Fi . Bands used to love it and it attracted some label bands all the way from London

Sadly when you work out the figures we were running at a loss with the rooms themselves costing £20 an hour in rent, rate and amenities which is why most reheasal places are either fairly small multiple rooms or shit holes with low business rates 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Danny1969 said:

When we were doing rehearsals at 2020 we charged £12 per hour and for that you got drums, bass and guitar backline. The rooms were large and fitted with HK PA's. We gave em free tea and coffee with the use of a relaxation room with large screen TV and Wi Fi . Bands used to love it and it attracted some label bands all the way from London

Sadly when you work out the figures we were running at a loss with the rooms themselves costing £20 an hour in rent, rate and amenities which is why most reheasal places are either fairly small multiple rooms or shit holes with low business rates 
    Wis'd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Cirrus said:
    EricTheWeary;949575" said:
    I think the general guidance is the further away from Birmingham city centre it is the less shit it is.
    Which one do you use? I know a few bands who aren't happy with Robannas and if you end up in some of the rooms I can see why. That said we have a lockup there and after moving about between a few rooms we eventually found one that's a good size, ground floor next to an exit for easy loading, and doesn't sound too bad with a bit of corner trapping to control the bass. The first one we had had water dripping down the walls, which was less than ideal.
    Robannas does seem to vary a lot. Haven't been to Madhouse for a while but the poor sound insulation became a PIA - although plenty of parking and all on ground level was good. Ritch Bitch was falling apart but I've not been to their new premises yet. Oxygen and the other one opposite it (err, can't remember) are okay but very much of the tatty gear and too many stairs variety. We like to use JJM in Walsall which is massively better, reasonable parking, much less noise from other rooms although difficult to get a slot sometimes. Bit more expensive but definitely worth it. They were quite nice to us when our drummer had his heart attack there!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Danny1969;950390" said:
    Yeah, my fiance's sister's partner (My Outlaw Outlaw brother?) actually ran the numbers about opening a rehearsal complex near Luton and abandoned the idea when he saw how difficult it'd be not to run at a loss. When you're talking about these low hourly rates you've got to be in an area where costs are low and minimise your overheads, or be a massive complex that diversifies into other areas (eg our place also does live sound rig rentals to festivals etc, gear hire, studio recording etc)