Joseph Fiennes to play Michael Jackson !

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28352
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jan/26/joseph-fiennes-michael-jackson-9-11-road-trip-sky-arts

On one hand I can see why the black community are outraged, but then again, MJ seemed to do his best to appear white with skin bleaching and plastic surgery on his nose in particular. I can see that it could be unnecessarily complicated making up a black actor for the role when Fiennes already has most of the right qualities other than a wig.

Personally if I was a white actor I wouldn't touch that role with a barge pole.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    The outrage for this is ridiculous, Jackson's skin colour was white by the end of his life. 

It's acting for fucks sake-that's the whole point....people of different colours, creeds, sexes, religions and countries of origin play colours, creeds, sexex, religions and countries of origin...

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure that Gorrilla on the Dairy Milk advert was a man in a suit too...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Ohhhh, I've been reading this as RALPH fiennes since yesterday and only just realised the mistake.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited January 2016
    Also contrary to rumour jackson didnt actually have that much surgery, his vitiligo was real as confirmed by his autopsy. You can see photos of him younger when his hand was going blotchy - hence the single white glove.

e: although looking it up it turns out that skin bleaching can actually CAUSE vitiligo in some cases so hmm
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16860
    So the film is set in 2001 right.

Surely they should have cast a white woman!
  • hugbot said:
    Ohhhh, I've been reading this as RALPH fiennes since yesterday and only just realised the mistake.

I think they should have cast Ralph as that nose he had as Vol Der Mort was pretty spot on for early 2000s Jacko... Plus equally as scary to young children.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Least he won't have to 'black up' which could be construed as quite offensive.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Mackenzie Crook would have been funnier.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

I can see why the "black community" are offended. On the one hand I can see why Fiennes was chosen, but on the other hand, there are less primary roles for black actors anyway I think.

It shouldn't be an issue, but in reality I can understand why it is.

quarky;951828" said:
    I can see why the "black community" are offended. On the one hand I can see why Fiennes was chosen, but on the other hand, there are less primary roles for black actors anyway I think. It shouldn't be an issue, but in reality I can understand why it is.
    For any other black role, fair enough. Getting him to play Malcom x would be pretty offensive.

For this era jacko the only non-offensive casting option would be a black person who suffered from the same condition and underwent the same treatment whilst still bearing a passing resemblance. I am sure they will sign that actor up for the bio-pic when they find them

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

Actually, I think for a black person to "white up" would be less offensive..

Has anyone actually been offended?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10363
    Problem solved.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31047
    On the other side of the coin, when I argued that Idris Elba should never be Bond because Bond is white, that was deemed racist.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    On the other side of the coin, when I argued that Idris Elba should never be Bond because Bond is white, that was deemed racist.
    Can't believe it would get that far, surely the fact that he's a nob would rule him out.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31047
    And, the fact he's the most wooden actor ever would preve...hold on, didn't Roger Moore once do it?

That's that argument fucked then.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Roger Moore is positively chameleon like compared to Idris Elba.
    quarky;951841" said:
    Actually, I think for a black person to "white up" would be less offensive..
    Which is a ridiculous statement. But I accept its probably accurate for the majority of people
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1388
    lloyd said:

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure that Gorrilla on the Dairy Milk advert was a man in a suit too...

Bloody hell. Is @viz a drumist as well?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024