The Internet

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
I love the Internet and when I mean love it I actually hate it.
It annoys me how people can sit on their arses, making next to no effort and have their views taken seriously,

Get offended by something? Then the powers that be will change it for you,

Say something silly on Facebook when drunk? That's your career ruined.

I can't stand this new "fashion" of getting offended and what the news and papers call a "public outcry" when all people have actually done is..... Nothing, they have not got up from their comfy chair and made any effort at all, they have just typed that they are offended.

What happened to the days of writing an angry letter/ going to your local town council to register a complaint or shock horror speaking to the person who offended you?

If something truly did offend then get up and do something about it don't just sit there in your onesie and type an angry Facebook status!

If you're truly offended tell the person who bloody offended you!

Actions used to speak louder than words but not anymore.

The great unwashed need to realise the Internet is not life, it's there to compliment it

BTW I fully realise @sambostar is the resident eccentric so I'm not wanting to take his crown but my fellow colleagues are not interested so I had to get it out somewhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I love the Internet and when I mean love it I actually hate it.
    It annoys me how people can sit on their arses, making next to no effort and have their views taken seriously,

Get offended by something? Then the powers that be will change it for you,

Say something silly on Facebook when drunk? That's your career ruined.

I can't stand this new "fashion" of getting offended and what the news and papers call a "public outcry" when all people have actually done is..... Nothing, they have not got up from their comfy chair and made any effort at all, they have just typed that they are offended.

What happened to the days of writing an angry letter/ going to your local town council to register a complaint or shock horror speaking to the person who offended you?

If something truly did offend then get up and do something about it don't just sit there in your onesie and type an angry Facebook status!

If you're truly offended tell the person who bloody offended you!

Actions used to speak louder than words but not anymore.

The great unwashed need to realise the Internet is not life, it's there to compliment it

BTW I fully realise @sambostar is the resident eccentric so I'm not wanting to take his crown but my fellow colleagues are not interested so I had to get it out somewhere.

Id prefer it if you didn't get it out to be honest...
    :-\"
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Here here!

Too many softies out there.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    @Nikko yes I apologise for terrifying you with it the last time,
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited January 2016
    What frustrates me are people who get offended on other peoples behalf.

A (massively exaggerated) example would be someone saying n****r in a room full of white people then having one of them jump up and say that they are offended by the word.

I have no doubt the word is offensive, you just have no right to be offended by it.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Never bothered with Facebook, did not like the whole idea of sharing my shit with people that dont give a shit.

This does raise a point, everyone is entitled to their view, personally I dont think everyone is entitled to share their views.  Thats the trouble, social media gives every halfwit an opportunity to spout shit, whereas in the past, said halfwit would have been decked for being a twat and would learn to keep their mouth shut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ^wis.
    I'm also of the opinion that no one is entited to any opinion other than that which they can defend rationally.
    'Awibble'
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    nick_s said:
    Here here!
    Where? I think you mean "hear", dear!
    nick_s said:

Also too many who can't spel!
    DLM;952950" said:
    nick_s said:

Here here!

Where? I think you mean "hear", dear!

nick_s said:

Also too many who can't spel!
    Also, too many pedants.
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:

A (massively exaggerated) example would be someone saying n****r in a room full of white people then having one of them jump up and say that they are offended by the word.

I have no doubt the word is offensive, you just have no right to be offended by it.

So one of the whites who is closely related to a black and has witnessed their racial abuse can't be offended by it?

Drew and his wife if someone used a term insulting to Asians?

Some suggested reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Ooh looks like I have started a debate, thus will make the last hour of work fly by :D
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1325
    The internet is as diverse an audience as you'll find anywhere too. You can't liken it to a room full of white people. If someone white repeatedly shouts the n word in a random public place, do you tell them they can't say that, or just double check there are no coloured people around and then let them carry on?

Sometimes public outcry is good.
  • I take the point that it's weird to be offended on someone else's behalf.

However, the issue I have with what happens here, for example, is that sometimes content is posted that would clear alienate some of our audience.  I don't really like that this place is a sausage-fest but it's not surprising when you read some of the 'I would so bang her...' type posts that spring up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26922
    edited January 2016
    DLM said:
    Hertz32 said:

So one of the whites who is closely related to a black and has witnessed their racial abuse can't be offended by it?

Drew and his wife if someone used a term insulting to Asians?

Some suggested reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

This. There's a vast gulf between "being offended by proxy" and "being offended in principle". The former usually has reasoning behind it, the latter is generally a knee-jerk reaction caused by what someone thinks should offend them.
    <space for hire>
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

No chance of that happening.

DLM;952954" said:
    Hertz32 said:

So one of the whites who is closely related to a black and has witnessed their racial abuse can't be offended by it?Drew and his wife if someone used a term insulting to Asians?Some suggested reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...
    Most people are insulted by what they see truth in.
    I'm tempted to suggest that offence is contextual also.

Your link to "First they came..." Would suggest you have misunderstood me on some level.
    If I was in the room with the racist who said N****r, I'm not for one minuite suggesting that I'd shrug it off and not care because I am not black.
    I'd stand up and smash the intolerant cunt's teeth in for being intolerant, but not because I've been personally offended by his use of the word.

Inb4 intolerance of intolerance is hipocrisy.
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    I'd stand up and smash the intolerant cunt's teeth in for being intolerant
    Oh dear. Violence.
    DLM;952988" said:
    Hertz32 said:

I'd stand up and smash the intolerant cunt's teeth in for being intolerantOh dear. Violence.

Or hyperbole, take your pick.
    'Awibble'
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28904
    I always preferred catenaries.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    In fact it annoys you so much that you thought you'd post it on an internet forum...
    The irony is strong with this one.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28904
    Maybe he stood up to type.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom