Mono gig bags

ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
I need a better gig bag for my bass, and these look like the best… but the price is a little on the eye-watering side. (Even given how good they are.)

They have a new slimline model, the 'Bass Sleeve', which is a third cheaper than the full-spec ones. Does anyone have one, or better still have both, and any opinions on whether it's still worth the money, or if it's better to go for the whole hog?

It's for a Rickenbacker 4001 if it matters, although I don't think it should since it's fairly standard dimension-wise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    FWIW Westside, the distributors, usually have deals on Mono at the Birmingham guitar show and they are there again this year. Probably not good enough to pay for the cost of your train ticket down but if you were thinking of going might be worth hanging on,
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Aha! I didn't know Westside were the distributors. That may make a big difference to me, since they're in Glasgow ;). Many thanks!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Slightly shorter journey then.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    I have the Vertigo model bass bag, and it's excellent. I use it for all my basses, even my very silly money Marleaux.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27079
    I can't speak for the bass ones but I have an M80 for electrics, bought because my Bigsbied-Tele wouldn't fit in a Hiscox. It's an absolutely brilliant thing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I looked at the Sleeve model and while it's sturdy and carries well, I just don't get the point of that big flap affair over the body. Weird. 
  • The Protec Contego and the Fusion F1 are both meant to be excellent. The Protec is a similar idea to the Mono.
  • I love the vertigos but feel the sleeve loses one of the key benefits of the Vertigo - the fact that a zip failure will not see your instrument fall out of the case, plus the massive boot on the bottom which offers a lot of practical benefits. As such, while the M80 & Vertigo seem expensive, they are worth it to me for being more than a gigbag, but the sleeve version seems like a more expensive 'normal' gigbag.

IYSWIM!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I love the vertigos but feel the sleeve loses one of the key benefits of the Vertigo - the fact that a zip failure will not see your instrument fall out of the case, plus the massive boot on the bottom which offers a lot of practical benefits. As such, while the M80 & Vertigo seem expensive, they are worth it to me for being more than a gigbag, but the sleeve version seems like a more expensive 'normal' gigbag.

IYSWIM!
    That's pretty much what I thought from looking at the website - good to know I wasn't making some sort of obvious mistake.

£150 for a gig bag seems expensive until you think that my bass is worth at least £1500, and a replacement RIC case is the same sort of money, is much more awkward to carry - and I'm not even 100% certain is actually that much stronger, having recently seen an old Rick damaged while in one… admittedly by a courier who clearly stood on it.

I am making enquires via the shop ;).

• I have carried my headless Sei bass in a Fusion guitar gigbag without any problems for the last 3-4 years, Mansons didn't have the correct size Mono in stock at the time & the Fusion came out at about £20 cheaper from memory, excellent in quality & durability also had more external pockets, mike b.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    The guitar version of the Sleeve top-loads like the Vertigo and has a smaller, internal boot like the Vertigo - I assume the Bass one does too?
    Red ones are better.