Frustration - setting goals and translating into practice

What's Hot
Hi all,

So I've been stuck on the same plateau with my playing for about 5 years now (damn you final year of uni and then work...) and have decided to do something about it. My resolution this year is to make some actual progress in my playing rather than the frustration of reverting to the same songs and licks constantly.

I find I make the most progress in most aspects of life by setting long term goals then breaking that down into a set of monthly/weekly objectives which I review regularly. Trouble is, I'm having real trouble defining what those goals should actually be.

I know that nobody here can set my goals for me, after all, none of you know my strengths and weaknesses etc. What I'm looking for is help with the process of identifying what I should be aiming for, and then how to translate that into practice routines.

At the moment I'm not a very well rounded player and this frustrates me, so I want to look at styles outside of my staple rock and metal, though my playing in these areas could certainly do with a boost still. I also want to expand my theoretical understanding; when I learn a song I want to actually understand what's happening rather than just learning a set of mechanical motions. And finally, I want to be able to pick up a jam track and play something tuneful and appropriate to the context; not talking about incredible solos, just something that fits.

I guess really I have two main problems here:
- establishing goals that are more measurable than "be a better player"
- translating these goals into regular practice routines that will help me work towards them

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this :) thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    Join in with the solo of the month, riff of the month and composition challenges on here

the deadlines will get you focused and the different backing tracks and briefs for the challenges will force you outside of your normal playing style.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @kin - great idea, thanks. I've only been around these forums for a couple of weeks (mainly selling and buying) so hadn't thought of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At least you've got clear goals - that should be the hard part. What I suggest is that you picture yourself in two years time, for example. You've met your goals, ask yourself, how did you do it? So, the answer could be: "I'm now more than a rock player, I'm comfortable playing pop, country, blues. I did that by taking one song outside my comfort zone every month, and seeing what technique I could learn from it. Having done that 24 times, I can now do x,y,z." This can be quite a hard way of breaking a project down at first, but might give you a different perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @nocasternoproblem - Interesting way of looking at it! I'll try putting this idea to work as well. Thanks
  • Play along to the radio, you have no idea what is coming next, and lose all fx and OD, whilst practising, so you hear the notes not the sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    edited January 2016

I'd echo what @kin said about the monthly music challenges in the Making Music section as this months Phrygian Dominant theme pushed me to learn something I otherwise wouldn't have.

With regards to improving, I'd say first learn to be critical of your own playing.

e.g. Years ago, I remember noticing that my picking was nowhere near as clean on the top two strings as it was on the others. So I designed exercises focusing on those strings and a couple of weeks later they were up to par.

Learning to slow down whatever your doing and analyse where it's breaking down and why, is key.

If there's anything specific you want to ask for help with though, there are plenty of experienced players on here who will help.

• I don't know if you have heard of Mike Philippov. If not check his site. I am 49, played since I was 9 and have made the biggest improvement with his monthly lessons. Cheers Rich