Dan Gower modded Marshalls

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TimmyO said:
    Do these mods tend to give you more options or shift the whole response of the amp in a direction ? 
    All depends really, what mods you are doing. Adding more HV filtering will tighten up an amp, coupling caps can allow more or less bass,mid and treble through the gain stages. Cathode bypass caps and resistors adjust the gain and also the frequencies. Potential dividers and pots set the amount of signal to be passed on to the next gain stage, most mods are made of one or more, or all of the above. 

www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    TimmyO said:
    Do these mods tend to give you more options or shift the whole response of the amp in a direction ? 
    It depends on the Mod ... and if options are added.
    for example the Cali mod and the Jose Type mod sound to my ears like they are firmly rooted in the original marshall sound and keep the amp sounding like a real marshall and the Marshall characteristics are unmistakable.

The most noticable thing with the Cali Mod and The Jose is both mods add quite a bit more gain. 

you can also get other options such as dual footswitchable masters so one master can be set at a higher volume than the other so as to create a volume increase when activated . the dual masters can also have options assigned to them such as clipping. gain boosts .bright cap selection etc there are also options that change the playing feel of the amp.. Dans loops are also very good.
    The Rockmonster mod is quite different to the Cali or Jose its difficult to describe but its very fat and fluid . 
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

• Hey guys! Thanks so much for the kind words, it's always nice to hear people are enjoying the work i've been putting out there :-)

If anyone needs anything at all, shoot me an email at Dan@DanGowerAmps.co.uk anytime.

I'm always happy to talk all about this stuff/advise you on what i think will work best for what you're looking for.

Cheers!
    Dan
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    edited February 2016
    Hi all,
    I had the pleasure of being in the studio with Dan Gower last night and hearing one of his modded 100W Marshalls (I believe it was a Killer Cali +) @DanGowerAmps - you can confirm matey. It sounded incredible at both low and live volumes with a helluva lot of useful control and variation over the sound. Good cleans too and efficient effects loop (no tone or volume drop when used) and low noise but the freakin' sound!!!!! Dann Huff, EVH, Nuno, John Sykes come to mind and then bluesy and lush cleans too and the rolled back guitar tone from full gain to cleanish was excellent. Great note articulation and clear-sounding even with the gain up.

There was a 50W EVH 5150 in the room too which was no slouch and to my ears, the DG amp matched and improved upon those sounds and more.

Apart from being a superb guitarist and genuinely nice and friendly guy, Dan knows his stuff and on the basis of what I saw and heard, RECOMMENDED.
  • It was great to meet you at the studio the other night Costas!

Glad to hear you liked what you heard from the amp too :-) Yeah that amp is my early 90's SuperLead which has the Killer Kali++ Mod, with all the extra features added.. AKA the swiss cheese chassis after all the holes drilled haha.

Performing with that amp in this new band/project really puts it to the test, as we're playing such a wide range of tunes from 70's/80's/90's, both hard rock and even super clean/soft ballads too. And 99.9% of the time i'm just rolling off the guitar's volume pot for all the different tonal variations. Only kicking in the 2nd Master for a Solo volume boost when needed.

Thanks again for the kind words mate!
  • Sorry for necroing this post, but damn those amps sound great, recently got myself a Friedman BE-100 but the killer kali mod sounds alot wilder and raunchier :)