Peavey amp help

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
I have an old Peavey studio pro amp, which is really nice and am starting to use again at home...even thinking of converting it into a slim head to use with a 2x12....

Anyway all that aside, there is a problem with it. When i turn the amp off there is a massive pop sound.

Anyone have an idea whats causing this and how much it would cost to fix it?? It has sentimental value, but if it costs too much i could just buy another one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72879
    It may just be the power switch arcing. A new switch or putting a suppressor cap on it should fix it.

I'm beginning to see a few switch failures with these older Peaveys now - it's obviously a component with about a 30-year lifespan for some reason.

The pop shouldn't be a problem itself, other than being annoying.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    thanks mate...ill look into it.

yeah like you say, its really annoying having that pop, has no impact on the amp itself.
  • i had an old bandit that always made a loud pop when switching off., sorry, just reminded me.
    So...i've worked out that if i turn the power off from the wall it doesnt pop.

Seeing as its a home amp, i bought one of those powerboards that has a switch for each outlet...and i dont have the issue anymore! Win!
    And which proves that it is just the switch arcing, since turning off at the mains does exactly the same thing in electrical terms.

Be prepared for it to die completely at some point - although if you now leave it permanently on at the amp, it's less likely - both the last two old Peaveys of this generation I've acquired needed new switches.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thats ok...even if it dies...its done me proud for over 20 years!
    samzadgan said:
    Thats ok...even if it dies...its done me proud for over 20 years!
    Or you could just do what the last owner of my Combo 300 did… just twist the switch wires together and gaffer tape over them :).

;) No, don't do that. Replacing the switch is actually easy, it's a standard size.