Ipod touch 4 won't sync?

Bought my girlfriend a new ipod today as a surprise. I can get it to charge fine, but it will only register in iTunes if you hold the cable in a certain position and its almost impossible to get it to stay long enough to sync an album.

Anyone know what the problem may be? The port isn't broken because it charges fine? The cable is ok because I'm using it for my own iPod video...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10431

The pins used for charging are different from the pins used for data so if your absolutely sure the cables good and it only registers when held in a certain position then there's a problem with the port. Sometimes stuff gets in the port, check nothings in there but don't use any metal objects to hook it out
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7348
    I've used a soft brush to clean it out but it's still not working. Looks like someone has traded it in knowing it's broken and hoping they won't test it in a computer. Back it goes =/
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Potentially pocket fluff has worked its way into the port. Turn it off and very carefully use something like a paper clip to coax it out.
    Nah its well and truly fucked. I'm sure they'll refund me but it doesn't get me back the evening I spent trying to get it to work.
    Though on the bright side I've realised she doesn't really need the touch once. I thought it would just be a touch screen mp3 player, not basically a smart phone without calling capabilities. Do you really need to go Web browsing on your mp3 player when your phone does the same?