Driverless Vehicles

What's Hot
What are your thoughts?

How far away do you think we are before we start to see them on the roads?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Not sure how far away they are-I believe the technology is fine, it's infrastructure and public perception of safety that's holding it back?

It's definitely the future, I welcome it. Taxi drivers probably do not.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They would be safer, more fuel efficient due to refined driving style, better use of time in that you could rest or work while transported.

On the downside, they will see lots of people out of jobs who are drivers and there is the danger that driving for fun will become a thing of the past and I really must get a Focus RS before the fun police stop it.  Also, could they be a possible target for cyber attack?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    I'm looking forward to seeing BraLess Women in the not too distant future...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Anything that stops dumb-fucks on phones killing bikers & cyclists is good by me.

Most of my family would like to have a driverless car- mum would love it, dad would be mobile again (he can't drive due to a health problem), my wife has said she'd have one. 
    I actually like driving and like my performance car and bikes- I wouldn't willingly give it up, especially the bikes.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    I'm hoping there will be a mix of driver & driverless car on the roads.

I love a good drive myself however i think it would be beneficial for everyone if Mrs Miggins at number 63 has a computer do her driving.

It'll also be great getting home from the pub.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited February 2016
    DesVegas said:

It'll also be great getting home from the pub.
    Eventually I guess, but initially you won't be able to be drunk in a driverless car as you will need to be able to take control of the vehicle in an emergency- at least that is what I have read.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28499
    octatonic said:
    I'm fine with the idea of it provided they don't take away the right to drive a car normally, or ride a bike.
    I concur.

I would very much like to have a car that dealt with the boring driving. I'd be even keener if that meant that what driving I still did was more fun.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • 57Deluxe said:
    I'm looking forward to seeing BraLess Women in the not too distant future...
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/06/article-2650527-1E6FA25300000578-621_306x453.jpg
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I think it places way too much faith in software
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    I think it places way too much faith in software
    Possibly, but we currently place way too much faith in people. Lady BMcH informs me that breakfast telly this morning were outraged at someone being fined for peeling a banana while driving. With both hands off the wheel. In heavy traffic.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    On the rare occasion I have a cig (i use an electric one most of the time) I roll it at the lights as it's safer than rolling and driving.
  • Sporky said:
    I think it places way too much faith in software
    Possibly, but we currently place way too much faith in people. Lady BMcH informs me that breakfast telly this morning were outraged at someone being fined for peeling a banana while driving. With both hands off the wheel. In heavy traffic.
    I heard that one. I was told the vehicle was stationary, in a queue, gearbox disengaged, handbrake on. I'd have been outraged too.
    Seems to work for planes, which appear much safer when the software is in control
    Seems to work for planes, which appear much safer when the software is in control
    The paths that planes fly in are largely preset by ATC. Similar is not true of driving on the roads.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    As much as i hate agreeing with Phil i agree
  • DesVegas said:
    As much as i hate agreeing with Phil i agree
    sorry, I'll try to be more contentious next time
    :P
    How will they deal with diversions temporary lights and things like that? Have an iq test as part of the theory test, free pushbike if you fail.
    I heard that one. I was told the vehicle was stationary, in a queue, gearbox disengaged, handbrake on. I'd have been outraged too.
    I hate to think how you'd feel at some of the other requirements of the law when in charge of a tonne and a half of machinery. ;)
  • I can see London Black cabs, trying to block these at all costs as they are more of a threat than the likes of uber.
    Most women I know would rather get in a driverless cab very late at night than any other car with a driver.

Sporky;959888" said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

I hate to think how you'd feel at some of the other requirements of the law when in charge of a tonne and a half of machinery. ;)
    There's no common sense any more, not moving not even in gear with the handbrake on, not gonna run doreen from number 36 Over on her way for cat food.