Frank Skinner on the radio

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited February 2016
    Dan;962394" said:
    I think he's alright...for a baggies fan.

But that woman who co-presents with is a knobber.
    Don't forget the lugubrious unfunny bloke with the 'West Yerkshire' accent accentuated for hoped for comedic effect.

@boogieman I suspect Jo Goode is better at maintaining more of a wide audience of the kind of person they need to justify the licence fee than Baker was in the slot. Plus her fee is probably less. With Baker I've always felt you're in on his jokes or not. Either way, I don't think he has the popular touch and matey charm to anything like the extent a guy like Robert Elms has. I suspect the director of progs at BBC London saw his listening figures, knew he had to make cuts and got rid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11384
    boogieman said:
    Chuffola;962303" said:
    Totally agree. I love Danny Baker. Can also heartily recommend his auto biographies too.
    Agreed, his biographies are excellent. Again he can be a bit of a know all, but equally he can be a genius and he's certainly a lot funnier than Frank Skinner. I used to love his BBC radio London show and I never understood the decision to get rid of him. Jo Goode, his replacement, is absolutely dire. I can only imagine she good at bj's or has incriminating photos of the station head.
    BBC London scored one of the greatest broadcasting own goals when they ditched his programme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWeary;962460" said:
    [quote="thecolourbox;962435"]What on earth is Absolute Radio anyway? Is it another rebadged station that used to be called something else?
    Virgin I think. [/quote]

Correct.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9918
    edited February 2016
    Didn't even know there was a Virgin Radio, they clearly don't broadcast under my rock
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Didn't even know there was a Virgin Radio, they clearly don't broadcast under my rock
    Absolute in the West Midlands on FM took over from Planet Rock which took over from Kerrang on 105.2FM. Virgin used to be available on AM only, looks like Absolute still uses the 1215 AM signal as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • They haven't heard there's been any new music since 1997. In truth they play a jingle to fanfare anything new because it's such a rarity.. I use it to come up with ideas for covers for 40th birthday parties.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    edited February 2016
    Skarloey;962524" said:
    [quote="Dan;962394"]I think he's alright...for a baggies fan.

But that woman who co-presents with is a knobber.
    Don't forget the lugubrious unfunny bloke with the 'West Yerkshire' accent accentuated for hoped for comedic effect.

@boogieman I suspect Jo Goode is better at maintaining more of a wide audience of the kind of person they need to justify the licence fee than Baker was in the slot. Plus her fee is probably less. With Baker I've always felt you're in on his jokes or not. Either way, I don't think he has the popular touch and matey charm to anything like the extent a guy like Robert Elms has. I suspect the director of progs at BBC London saw his listening figures, knew he had to make cuts and got rid.

[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably right @Skarloey. There were definitely in-jokes, but that was part of the appeal. It was like this forum, it made regular listeners/members feel part of a club. I don't doubt Danny Baker is a prima donna and he's probably not that easy to work with. His "resignation" show was nothing but a two hour rant against the fools in BBC management, it wasn't pleasant listening tbh.

Jo Goode comes across as someone who would have been at her best in the 1980s, doing an afternoon TV show with Russell Grant. You can imagine them talking about their show biz pals and the best way to get a good value supper dish from a tin of corned beef.

Robert Elms is great and agreed on the matey element. He sounds like he'd be good company down the pub. Doesn't hurt that I'm a QPR fan too either. :)
  • EricTheWeary;962803" said:
    thecolourbox said:

Didn't even know there was a Virgin Radio, they clearly don't broadcast under my rock

Absolute in the West Midlands on FM took over from Planet Rock which took over from Kerrang on 105.2FM. Virgin used to be available on AM only, looks like Absolute still uses the 1215 AM signal as well. 
    Oh, when did Kerrang go?! So does Frank also do the death metal show or the classic rock drive time? Or is he the token Midlands accent to replace Johnny Doom?

The bloke in the ticket office at Bournville station sounds a lot like Johnny Doom actually, maybe that's where he's gone?
  • EricTheWeary;962803" said:
    thecolourbox said:

Oh, when did Kerrang go?! So does Frank also do the death metal show or the classic rock drive time? Or is he the token Midlands accent to replace Johnny Doom?

The bloke in the ticket office at Bournville station sounds a lot like Johnny Doom actually, maybe that's where he's gone?
    I guess a couple of years ago Kerrang went off FM. Station of choice if my sons were in the car with me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Blimey who knew. Shows how much radio I listen to. Does Radio 1 still exist?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23256
    I think these changes have largely taken place on FM and in different regions.  If you listen on DAB or Freeview/Freesat, Planet Rock and Kerrang are still there where they always were.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    Blimey who knew. Shows how much radio I listen to. Does Radio 1 still exist?
    yeah for teenage girls only though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    He still makes me laugh it`s the giggling monkeys I can stand.

Danny Baker is a legend, loved his books too and the in jokes. BBC London was always on when I worked nights, big George was another I liked (wasn`t he with Jo Goode?)

At the moment I`ve been listening to Johnny Vaughan on RadioX on the way home from work, find him really funny, excitable yes but irrelevantly funny.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9918
    edited February 2016
    57Deluxe said:
    Blimey who knew. Shows how much radio I listen to. Does Radio 1 still exist?
    yeah for teenage girls only though...
    In keeping with the BBC's oft repeated scandals then ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom