Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have lapsed musical skills?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28342
Wasn't sure the right section for this?

It occurred to me whilst posting in another thread, that I have let certain musical skills lapse, and I really wish I hadn't.

1) I used to play piano a lot as a teen. I could sit and reel off about 45 minutes of memorised music no problem. These days I have forgotten virtually all that music, have lost my 'chops' and I can't seem to memorise a single bloody bar of music! I still play keyboards, but mostly noodling around with chords

2) I used to be big on acoustic guitar, and would write short instrumentals in alt tunings. I rarely pick up acoustic these days, can't remember the tunings, can't remember many of my pieces and can't play the ones I remember very well.

3) I invested many years in playing Chapman stick, and could rattle off about 12 tunes. Got a bit jaded my the difficulty and not progressing like I wanted to so I stopped about 6 years ago. Can't remember a sodding thing now! One piece in particular I wrestled with for a looong time to learn and play. A bit gutted that I let it slip and forgot it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was a very good flute player (grade 8) but I've barely played at all for the last few years.

I need to get back into it but it's too loud to do when the kids are asleep. Need to join an orchestra or something again.
  • vizviz Frets: 10723
    God yes - virtually everything I played last year, I can't play this year!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited February 2016
    I played the recorder at school. Played keyboard for about a year. Screw the recorder, but wish I had been able to carry on with the keyboard.

What the hell is a chapman stick??

• quarky said:

What the hell is a chapman stick??

It's that thing you put on sore lips. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I won a scholarship to the Temple Church Boys Choir/City of London Boys School for my chorister vocal accolades... I also had to learn the violin for that too... My parents couldn't cough up their share of the bursary and thus I never went...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    I used to play the trumpet about thirty years ago at school and used to impress my mates with my rendition if the Blackadder theme tune.I reckon I could just about play one of the scales through muscle memory.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I used to be pretty good on keys at school, stopped playing when we no longer has a music teacher.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I suppose I could play classical guitar as a kid.  But no not really.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28342

I once held an oboe when I was at school. Opening the case was tricky, but I got there in the end.
    We had a music teacher like that. In the cupboard and the light bulb went?
  • Used to be in the Choir at school many moons ago.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Had classical guitar lessons in my teens ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23106
    I had piano lessons for a couple of years when I was a little kid, I didn't do any exams but I could actually read music at a rudimentary level, which I certainly can't now.

It all stopped when my piano teacher got married and packed it in.  My parents found a replacement, an elderly gent, but there were rumours he was (whisper it in shocked horror....) a homosexual.... so that was the end of my keyboarding career.

We also had recorder lessons in school for a very short time.  I was the best in the class, but I suspect that was only because my single night-before attempt to play whatever we'd been assigned as homework that week meant I'd done 100% more practice than anyone else.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to be a decent rhythm guitarist/bassist- in bands, playing gigs etc. I stopped playing for 7years & had a family etc. Now I spend more time on thefretboard.co.uk than I do on the fretboard. I suspect I'm not alone though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostson;963550" said:
    I used to be a decent rhythm guitarist/bassist- in bands, playing gigs etc. I stopped playing for 7years & had a family etc. Now I spend more time on thefretboard.co.uk than I do on the fretboard. I suspect I'm not alone though.
    Yeah - I used to be a guitar player....
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Violin. I packed it in when I started secondary school as it felt wrong carrying it to school in my sta press trousers and pilot jacket with a Jam patch sewn on the arm.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Used to be a rather talented recorder player at school (recorder was mandatory learning up to the age of 11 or whatever). Haven't touched one since I was 12 and I doubt I'll remember how to play any tunes.
  • I was fairly good at clarinet as a kid and didn't touch it for decades. When I cracked it open a few years back I was surprised at how quickly it came back to me.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    I once held an oboe when I was at school. Opening the case was tricky, but I got there in the end.
    Pink one, was it?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    axisus said:

We had a music teacher like that. In the cupboard and the light bulb went?
    Funny you should say that, by my old school music teacher was a definitely a nonce.