Broke a string

What's Hot

First time I broke a string on a gig for about 10-15 years literally just got through the solo and bang the 3rd( a plain .20) went.

Anyone else regularly break strings or just every once in a blue moon like me ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Regularly.

Every ten years or so - so I must be due again soon.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Not since I started using Elixir 11's but you mustn't be hitting them hard enough Taff ;)
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Considering how hard I assault the strings, no.

Annoyingly I'm known to snap fresh strings when stretching them....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Last time I broke one playing was sometime in the early 80's but like @mike_I, I break the odd one when re-stringing.,
  • This was on my slide guitar, my regular tele, I have gone to a set of 9`s, and still don`t break strings...... must have been faulty only lasted a couple of years  ?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12019
    can't remember, must be 10-20 years
    Sometimes they go ping whilst on the wall, mostly nylon wound strings though
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    I rarely break strings (like once a decade) but I had what must have been a bad bos and two strings unwound at the ball end!!!

• IIRC when I used 9's I did all the time but rarely with 10's. I did once break a scratchplate into bits on a gig, the repair guy said he had never seen anything like it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33858
    I can remember one string break in recent memory- a nylon string.
    Don't think it has happened in more than a year other than that.
    Strings never stick around long enough for them to break- plus I think string makers churn out better product than ever.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483

Yeah strings now are made better and last longer. In the nineties I could maybe get 5 gigs out of a set before they started breaking, now  it can be about 12 or so gigs 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • IIRC when I used 9's I did all the time but rarely with 10's. I did once break a scratchplate into bits on a gig, the repair guy said he had never seen anything like it. 
    How did you manage that?!

How did you manage that?!
    Err, sort of hitting the strings onto the pick ups and the neck pick up basically collapsed ( into the swimming pool rout I think)and took the scratchplate with it. Fender single ply. From around the middle pick up forwards it shattered into several peices. We were playing a support at the Robin, where I also lost my favourite guitar strap.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761

First time I broke a string on a gig for about 10-15 years literally just got through the solo and bang the 3rd( a plain .20) went.

Anyone else regularly break strings or just every once in a blue moon like me ?

Breaking a plain 20 is quite impressive, assuming you weren't in some weird ;) tuning where it was a lot higher than G…

Where did it break? If it was at the bridgeplate, check for burrs - such a high-gauge string can tend to form them, and then it may cut the new string as well.

I don't break them often. If I do it's usually the top E, sometimes the D, and once that I can think of the B. The G on an acoustic more often, but that's a wound one and the core is probably about the same gauge as the top E.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Not very often, the last one was a good few years ago. But it will only happen right before a performance.
  • If I snap them it's only when stretching them - I really stretch every last bit out of them.   Haven't actually broken a string playing in around 10-15 years.  That said, as I spend so much time recording strings are never on for long enough to really deteriorate and every other part of each guitar get checked frequently.  When I was younger I would get more nervous so would sweat a lot on my hands.  Nowadays unless playing in a boiling hot studio or rehearsal room in high summer I do not sweat which helps.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • usually one per gig. I blame the combination of hitting them hard and my rusty fingers.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• My profile picture is of when I broke a string mid gig. My mate is jamming the tele and I'm looking pretty disgruntled as I'm going to get a replacement guitar.
  • Cant remember the last time ,but i do change them after a bout 10-12 hours of playing or every 3-4 weeks depending on what comes first.Never stretch them though .
  • I occasioanlly break one of the bottom strings live, if it hasn't blown the intonation too bad (an advantage of fixed bridges) then i just carry on the song without the string then usually make a big show of tearing it off at the end of the song.

I've had a few times where the rest of the band hasnt even noticed and were about to pile into the next song while I was swapping guitars..
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ