Komet Amps...anyone ?

What's Hot
FretKingFretKing Frets: 53

Been offered an early model, Komet 60 amp as a trade...

if I took it I'd likely look to sell it on, dont know much about the brand or the tones.

Wondering if any of you fine gents have any experience of or love for the brand &

can school me a wee bit please ?

Cheers,

Graeme.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    That model was designed by Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame.

At the time he was very ill and was unable to build many amps, so he had the Komet company build the designs.

They are a non-master volume amp and would need to be cranked to get any substantial distortion.

There are sound clips on the Komet website.

Build quality looks very good from the photos.

I've never seen one in the flesh.
  • There's one for sale at 'the guitar store online' at the moment, or was a few weeks ago, for around £1500. Very much TGP flavour of the month about 5-7 years ago, well built, sound awesome although by all accounts very loud. The hype has died down a bit but they are still very well regarded.

I suspect it may be marginally easier to sell than the Naylor but it's still very niche, and for most people arguably less useful, being non master volume. I guess it all depends on the terms of the trade....
  • Thanks guys, much appreciated.

In truth it is not an amp that appeals to me, no disrespect intended

to the brand - just not my thing.

Cheers,

G.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2600
    tFB Trader
    I built a lower powered clone a few years ago, nice amp to play, cleans are decent too. it does its thing but if you are not a player that uses your volume control to adjust gain levels of the amp you just won't get it.

I think an attenuator would be a requirement in the UK
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    Is that the model that Mark Knopfler was/is using?

If so it's the one he used on some tracks on Shangri-La, which sounds fantastic. Obviously his playing and the studio recording stuff come into it as well…

Should be easy enough to sell in this country with that kind of connection I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    FWIW, There's a review of a Komet 60 in this month's Guitar and Bass. There's also one for sale in the Guitar Store, Southampton:

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Awesome amps in the 'Vintage Plexi but built cost no object vein'

As used by Mark K, Steve Tyler, Sonny Landreth and many other pros

I've experience of the Komet 60 HD (solid state rectifier) and it has everything covered

Mike at Komet is also a true gent and a pleasure to speak to

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • I came across a review of the Komet 60 and it seems the reviewer really liked it

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1270
    I came across a review of the Komet 60 and it seems the reviewer really liked it

Interestingly if I was asked to describe @MattG's Z Wreck I'd probably say very similar things, I guess that's just Ken Fischer's ideas of what a guitar amplifier should be and how it should work coming through...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...