Hand cramping up during gigs

What's Hot
citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
My hand has started cramping up again recently on gigs & it's got me slightly worried. Happened a few months back too but I thought I was rid of the problem but notice it creeping back in of late.

I play 'thumb over' most of the time & I've noticed the cramping can be triggered after playing a few barre chords - then when I go back to thumb over I notice my index finger 'locking' in place quickly followed by my second & third fingers following suit. You can see me trying to shake it off around the 1 minute mark in this clip.. Last time it happened I'd read it may be dehydration related so I try to up my water intake a few days before gigs to counter it. 

I've booked an appointment with my GP hoping for a physio referral but just wondered has anyone else experienced similar & if so what did you do? 

Thanks in advance & thanks also to our own @andyoz for the clip..  

Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you tried adjusting the strap length?  In particular, making it shorter which would straighten your left wrist and take some strain off the the tendons in the hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you do anything to warm up? I've seen a few things where pros just mess around strumming, slowly run through scales, do gentle bends, just get their hands used to playing before a gig. I remember Joe Satriani would literally warm up by immersing his hands in a bucket of warm water before a gig (I have spent ten minutes with the hand dryer in the gents in cold weather).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I get the same thing every time we play purple rain; I attribute it to the fact that I haven't played songs that required bar chords for 15 years and therefore I am not used to it any more. 

Also if there's any tension building up during the song I think it's subconsciously channeled to the member with the higher load during that period,. A baring finger is a good candidate.

Seeing a GP is a good idea as always but being cautious of tension build up and trying to manage that is something that needs to be practiced and made a habit as any other technical skill on guitar.

After 3 rounds of purple rain my index is so cramped that it locks and a few times I actually had stretch it with my right hand in order to make the solo. 

Same thing happens when I practice long wide bends with vibrato. 3 fingers cramp and lock in and I struggle to make the next phrase. 
    So I am trying mentally to use the wrist and forearm and loosen the fingers. 

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited February 2016
    Don't really want to wear the guitar higher tbh - have it just high enough to play Mr Brightside comfortably lol

Rarely get a chance to warm up but it's something I'll definitely consider now.. although now I think of it I usually play at home for half an hour before heading out? 

That's exactly how my hand locks too Cathan - I used to reach around to straighten the fingers but now just shake it off even though it looks a bit weird - unnerving when it happens - think you e a good point about tension - must try to lighten the touch overall . 

Appreciated all the suggestions - please keep them coming! 

Will keep you posted if doc has any advice

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I used to get this all the time to the point it was agony.

But then we found a better drummer and I didn't have to keep punching him.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2016
    :P Visions of you hitting him with a Cornish pedal

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    citizen68 said:
    :P Visions of you hitting him with a Cornish pedal

The only pedal I'd hit a drummer with is a bicycle pedal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Had this problem too ...........larger,thicker neck sorted it immediately
  • citizen68;968005" said:
    Don't really want to wear the guitar higher tbh - have it just high enough to play Mr Brightside comfortably lol

Rarely get a chance to warm up but it's something I'll definitely consider now.. although now I think of it I usually play at home for half an hour before heading out? 

That's exactly how my hand locks too Cathan - I used to reach around to straighten the fingers but now just shake it off even though it looks a bit weird - unnerving when it happens - think you e a good point about tension - must try to lighten the touch overall . 

Appreciated all the suggestions - please keep them coming! 

Will keep you posted if doc has any advice
    I'd have thought a warm up needs to be nearer the time. Just on an unplugged electric or gently exercise and warm your hands and wrists in some other way (I'm not trying to suggest a pre gig wank but if it works it works...).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dominic said:
    Had this problem too ...........larger,thicker neck sorted it immediately

Thought about that but my Tele has a good handful of soft V & it happened using that too.,

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited February 2016

A mate of mine went through a period of debilitating hand cramps seriously affecting his income as he is a full-time performer and guitar teacher. He was referred by the Musicians Union to BAPAM, the British Association for Performing Arts Medicine. He got an appointment there and after a consultation was given advice on overcoming the issue. It took a while but it worked. There is also a useful leaflet on the BAPAM web site 'Don't Cramp Your Style!'. Other leaflets address issues like stage nerves, which can also cause tension in the hands.

here is a link

Sometimes the cramps or stiffening can be as a result of outside issues, like a builder/guitarist mate who can't play even half decently after laying block walling all day.  Yes, punching drummers is a common cause :))

• Jimbro66;968134" said:
    A mate of mine went through a period of debilitating hand cramps seriously affecting his income as he is a full-time performer and guitar teacher. He was referred by the Musicians Union to BAPAM, the British Association for Performing Arts Medicine. He got an appointment there and after a consultation was given advice on overcoming the issue. It took a while but it worked. There is also a useful leaflet on the BAPAM web site 'Don't Cramp Your Style!'. Other leaflets address issues like stage nerves, which can also cause tension in the hands.here is a linkSometimes the cramps or stiffening can be as a result of outside issues, like a builder/guitarist mate who can't play even half decently after laying block walling all day :D  Punching drummers is a common cause :)) so go for their solar plexus, not their dense head, because it has maximum effect without injuring your hand 8-}
    Thanks for that link - greatly appreciated.

I was threatened recently by a scumbag that I had a run in with years ago so I guess I might be tensing up due to that (every time someone comes anywhere close in s crowded situation) - I think a Tele will be good protection

These things are sent to try us...

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    citizen68 said:

I was threatened recently by a scumbag that I had a run in with years ago so I guess I might be tensing up due to that (every time someone comes anywhere close in s crowded situation) - I think a Tele will be good protection

Sorry to hear that. It would be hard to be relaxed in those circumstances, particularly if trouble might break out where you are playing.

It sounds like your hand problem could be due to several factors but it's possible @uncledick might have a point. It is quite awkward playing barre chords for any length of time on a low-slung guitar. Anyway, hopefully BAPAM might help you in some way.

Cheers
    Jim
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited February 2016
    I have suffered from this problem too, very painful and a very negative effect on my playing. 

The key thing I am working on is to try and play guitar more at home, practising songs on an acoustic to strengthen my hands. I tend to be a bit lazy about home practice which means that when a I get to a gig I am asking those muscles to work for two hours plus and they are just not used to it. 

Slim necks can contribute too so at the moment I am alternating between my slim and fast PRS for most tunes and a fairly chunky Yamaha SG for slide and some other songs where speed is not of the essence. 

Also, and I could have this wrong, potassium deficiencies can contribute to cramp so bananas are good ("cos they got no bones" - name that band) as are decent sports drinks
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Oh and great video clip by the way, cool band!
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Jimbro66;968590" said:
    citizen68 said:

Sorry to hear that. It would be hard to be relaxed in those circumstances, particularly if trouble might break out where you are playing.

It sounds like your hand problem could be due to several factors but it's possible @uncledick might have a point. It is quite awkward playing barre chords for any length of time on a low-slung guitar. Anyway, hopefully BAPAM might help you in some way.

Cheers

Jim
    Thanks for that - yeah it's annoying having to watch your back while out & about.

I will try to get wrist a bit straighter on Saturday night's gig to see if that helps

• chromatuna;968739" said:
    I have suffered from this problem too, very painful and a very negative effect on my playing. 

The key thing I am working on is to try and play guitar more at home, practising songs on an acoustic to strengthen my hands. I tend to be a bit lazy about home practice which means that when a I get to a gig I am asking those muscles to work for two hours plus and they are just not used to it. 

Slim necks can contribute too so at the moment I am alternating between my slim and fast PRS for most tunes and a fairly chunky Yamaha SG for slide and some other songs where speed is not of the essence. 

Also, and I could have this wrong, potassium deficiencies can contribute to cramp so bananas are good ("cos they got no bones" - name that band) as are decent sports drinks
    Ha funny I learnt most of what I know playing wise on s skinny necked Ibanez RG550 & never had a bother! I still have it - I love fatter necks now but it still gets the odd outing.,

Thanks for the advice on potassium & also big thanks for your kind words on the band

:)

• Being youngish I never had hand issues with guitar but then it became more apparent on double bass when I would have bad habits.

I would change your posture and guitar height.
    -Shorten the damn strap and see if it helps.
    -When you stand and play, check if you are twisting or tensing in your arms &shoulders.

Subconscious tension & stress create problem all over your body. A good exercise before and between playing is to hold your hands at your side and "shake" the tension off, like shaking water off your hands except the muscles in your shoulders and upper arms are relaxed. (hope that makes sense) 
    edited February 2016
    Being youngish I never had hand issues with guitar but then it became more apparent on double bass when I would have bad habits.

-When you stand and play, check if you are twisting or tensing in your arms &shoulders.

Subconscious tension & stress create problem all over your body. A good exercise before and between playing is to hold your hands at your side and "shake" the tension off, like shaking water off your hands except the muscles in your shoulders and upper arms are relaxed. (hope that makes sense) 

Being youngish I never had hand issues with guitar but then it became more apparent on double bass when I would have bad habits.

Yeah it makes sense - I just don't wanna be a Mark King style player with top of guitar stuck under armpit - I could mebbe get away with raising it up a bit, but I've a gut to try & hide too 

That shaking thing is what I currently do to get rid of cramp when it kicks in so I'll defo give it a try pre-problemo too 

Thanks!

• I had this a few years ago. I put it down to dehydration and also because I was playing 11s on my Strat at home. (My gigging guitar has 9s). My hand was aching throughout the gig but locked during the encore.. the second half was 1h10m + and it was the middle of summer.

I warm up now with some major scales and make sure I have a drink for the second set. I get the odd twinge but I recognise the signs more now.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"