Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My Band - your thoughts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    It's well done. I would have to echo what others said about the singer. Kinda reminds me of 90s Britpop. A bit non descript.

Your playing fits the bill though. Nice tones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited February 2016
    I also think the singer sounds better while pushed a bit.

The drums are the main area I think needs a bit of a tweak - both the sound of the kit and as mentioned above, the dynamics. It sounds a tad flat and lifeless.

I also thought that the two songs were somewhat divergent - one is very britpop / 90s, and the other almost 70s Rock sounding. Almost like a different band.

I think ultimately although you are all good players, it sounds to me like this recording was done quickly and would benefit from some more time spent on the mix and general production. If the purpose of the recording was to get a good quality demo for getting gigs, then job done - more than ticks that box. If you have more ambitious plans I think you need to invest more time in considering arrangements, production and mixing.

Can I ask what the purpose of the recording was? For a demo, or ultimately for release?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    edited February 2016
    Cool.. I really liked it.
    The mix sounds a bit muddy and the sound-scape almost feels mono.. but I like the singer and the music is great. Lots of good influences in there. 
    Artic Monkeys meets the New York Dolls and Aerosmith.. That's a damn fine combination.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Any Port In a Storm at 2:24 was the highlight for me. I reckon your singer sounds great man, well suited I just personally don't like the mix on his vocals. My ears are shit but the sort of reverb on his vocals doesn't suit for my money, I'd look to this as a guide of how I would mix it:

Just my opinion though.

Also man, great playing.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I liked Port in a storm, but not so keen on Cocaine... for me the singer's style just works better on Port, Cocaine sounds like he's just copying the Arctic Monkeys. Very nice playing though and it's all very tight.

The drums do need some work, they sound mushy and tinny in the mix. Probably listening on my phone doesn't help but the splashy cymbals dominate everything and the snare has got no crispness or "crack" to it. Nothing a bit of tweaking won't sort though. Nice work. ;)
  • Love it! Will definitely see you live if you are anywhere near Bristol.

I thought My Cocaine had more of an Alt Country feel than the Arctic Monkeys  comparisons (although they did get 'American' on AM). Quite Temperance Movement, I reckon

Great solo on My Cocaine - is that you?

Don't get the criticisms of the singer - I really like the character of his voice. Alex Turner ain't no Pavarotti!

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1613
    Thank you all for taking the time out to have a listen and to feed back, it's good of you.

Some very interesting comparisons with other bands. I was actually over the moon with some of the mentions.

I feel singers are always going to be marmite. I really enjoy the way our singer puts things across. It's certainly not an effort on his behalf to sound contrived in any way, it just comes out that way. As a fellow Yorkshire band perhaps the Artics thing is very relevant. I was listening to AM today and I actually hoped we sounded anywhere near as I loved the album.

Dynamics is what I have picked up most of all from listening back to the recordings. Where we can improve and where it's needed. Some great points made so once again thank you for pointing me in the direction.

Guitar wise, other than a some of the chord work it is me. I'm over the moon that my playing has not embarrassed me on here ha.

Tone wise, as I mentioned at the start I kept it simple and it must have worked. I'm happy with my sound at the moment. A pair of MJW amps, a tele and a Fuzzface is pretty much it.

The recording will be used mainly for getting gigs and advertising etc. Although we have an album worth of recording coming soon.

The differences between the songs I think is because I wrote one and brought it to the band and the singer wrote the other and brought it to us. I am a sucker for 60's 70's guitar riffs.

Many thanks
    Shaun

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom