Bureaucracy

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
edited February 2016 in Off Topic
Is anything in life more wearisome than bureaucracy? 

I've been rejected for permanent Swiss permit on the grounds that neither myself or my wife speaks german. This resounding judgement comes from neither of us having ever done a A2 Goethe exam.

So I have a degree in European History and German Language from the open university. I speak, read and write German fluently , work in German, have Swiss German friends etc. My wife works for the local council, all her work is in Swiss German and she is attending a swiss german language course of a higher level. Which is not recognized even though run by the council.

So, I have to fill out forms ( in German) talk to the migrations office (in German) register for exams (in German) all to prove I can do what the person in front of me is currently witnessing with their own eyes and ears. 

To put it into perspective, A2 is the language level equivalent of  "where's spot"

I understand why they do this, so as to set a level to help speed up applications, but I am surprised that having a degree in the language isn't accepted. 

This kind of thing could only be invented by humans. We do it world over.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016
    Really?  It wouldn't happen in the UK. I remember going to my Dad's Citizen inauguration at the Town Hall.  Half of them couldn't speak English nor read the card and needed prompting.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • If you've never experienced red tape in the UK, then you have led a charmed life. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Flagged for having not first run the content past the mods via PM for approval prior to posting.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    Surely the real test is seeing how you react when denied citizenship. If you get fed up that is very un-Swiss then they don't let you in.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016

They are only all so laid back and apathetic because they have several leaders from each Kanton and get to have a referendum on everything, including the best means to rescue a cat from a tree.  Also the fact they are all stoners.  A drug invented to keep the white man down.  Mandatory Military or Civil service probably helps too. They have gotten a little bit more pro active with all the refugees they have taken and it's not only the cheese farmers who are complaining.

I think like the Germans and French, they are very strict with their versions of educational qualifications though.

In France you need a PhD to become a gardener.

Although rules for small or medium businesses are tight, all you need to become a brain surgeon and avoid the wrath of VOSA in this country is a white van and a tinkers accent or a 'I don't give a fig' attitude and don't take no for an answer.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    They just need to be extra sure you have German sympathies before they let you know where the jewish gold is hidden.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited February 2016
    Aren't there several language speaking regions in Switzerland with tier regional governments?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Map_Languages_CH.png

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7850

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I am really glad they don't do this with Arabic...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    edited February 2016
    57Deluxe said:
    Aren't there several language speaking regions in Switzerland with tier regional governments?

When I was in Basel-Stadt the only official language was German.
    Company language was English because of the number of ex-pat Brits, Americans and Aussies.
    They all speak German, French, Italian and English to various degrees.

In the 2 years we lived there I never heard Romansch as far as I was aware.

• Used to hear romansch a lot when I lived in davos and ventured to the engaging. Sounds like Italian mixed with catalan
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    57Deluxe said:

Blame Napolean - if he'd got further west into the cold mountains then you'd only need French * (* factual accuracy of above summary of European history subject to some doubt, as based solely on what someone told me when driving along the Sion Valley in a minibus one year)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    edited February 2016
    Sadly we live in an increasingly 'tick box' world, where specific criteria have to be met and there's less and less room for individual discretion and judgement. This applies in all walks of life.

There's an excessive aversion to the risk of things going wrong (including the risk of legal action if we don't apply exactly the same rules to all), but it will eventually lead to 'process paralysis' and everything will grind to a halt :(.

But at least we can laugh at the stupidity :).

It's not a competition.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12427
    You want bureaucracy, try going to India.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom