Another 'strange noise in HRD' thread

citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
edited February 2016 in Amps
Similar to another thread I just read my HRD (White Lightning) started making strange noises recently - nearly like a lower octave / more prominent on certain notes 

Immediately suspected valves so changed power first - no help so tried different pre-amp valves too - no help

A mate suggested the speaker so I tried it thru an extension cab & the noise went away - or I thought it did. Went through the annoying process of putting a different speaker in - fired it up & the noise is back - blast!

Before I change speaker back & take it to a tech has anyone encountered this before?

Ta muchly

Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What's plugged into the effects loop?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    I think so, although I can't remember if it was a HRD...

It's likely to be something else in the amp that's become microphonic. On the amp I found it on, it turned out to be the copper band on the output transformer which had come loose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What's plugged into the effects loop?

Nothing during the testing bit - but anyway I usually run everything straight in front - clean channel only

• ICBM said:
    I think so, although I can't remember if it was a HRD...

It's likely to be something else in the amp that's become microphonic. On the amp I found it on, it turned out to be the copper band on the output transformer which had come loose.

Thanks - tech it is then - when I muster up the 'could be arsed-ness' to put the original speaker back in ))

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    It might be the cab or baffle. Try giving everything a squeeze while making the noise and see if you can stop it.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited February 2016
    Cheers Matt I'll give that a go - tightened all screws after i changed the speaker but not sure if I checked baffle