Speaker suggestions

What's Hot
I have just picked up a bugera vintage 22 1x12 second hand as a back up amp. It's actually ok for that purpose, the speaker is connected using spade connectors so that got me thinking it would be easy to swap it out?

Any suggestions for an upgrade? The stock speaker is quite cutting and aggressive so I would like to smooth it out and warm it up a bit. The stock speaker says 280 watt peak power, 70 watt continuous power and is 8 ohms
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

I was going to suggest a Greenback (assuming the 2xEL84s can't deliver much more than 25W?) but then you would have to solder to the tags, the Greeny does not have spade terms'.

Are you perchance far from Chalky?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72562
    edited February 2016
    Definitely a Greenback. Only the Heritage version has solder terminals, the standard one has spades.

Unless they've changed it recently!

If you want a cleaner, deeper vintage-type sound then a G12H-30.

(Edit - there's an 8-ohm Greenback for sale in the classifieds too - nothing to do with me, but a fair price.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83;969668" said:
    Are you perchance far from Chalky? Dave.
    I'm not sure, if he had one for sale then it's not this one. At least I don't think it is but then the guy I got it from didn't mention the forum but you never know
    ecc83;969668" said:
    Are you perchance far from Chalky? Dave.
    I'm not sure, if he had one for sale then it's not this one. At least I don't think it is but then the guy I got it from didn't mention the forum but you never know

Don't mean sell you but he might let you have a harken to his small, recently acquired speaker collection?

Dave.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Greenback for certain, the v22 is a great amp!
  • is there really much difference between different speakers? 

i'm not speaking out of turn, i hope. i always assumed that it would be minimal - like a bit of a turn on a tone knob or something. i've had a few 1x12 cabs and my amps all sounded much the same through each.
    is there really much difference between different speakers? 

i'm not speaking out of turn, i hope. i always assumed that it would be minimal - like a bit of a turn on a tone knob or something. i've had a few 1x12 cabs and my amps all sounded much the same through each.

Fork me Spiller! I am registered deaf! Got two NHS digital aids to prove it but even I can tell the difference between guitar speakers.

Not only do different MAKES and MODELS sound differently but it is also very hard to make the SAME MODEL consistently over production (I believe cone production is a "batch process"?)

Flip some white noise (any DAW software has it) between a few cones. Chalk and Cheddar!

Dave.

is there really much difference between different speakers? 

The speakers are the single most important component in the entire signal path. OK not the most important factor overall - amplifier circuit design is - but they make much more difference than any individual part other than guitar pickups, and possibly more even than those.

I can only assume your cabs have had fairly similar speakers in them. (eg Celestion 'Seventy/80's, which are very common among a wide range of manufacturers and do tend to have a rather neutral, 'average' sound.) But if not, I don't know!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbh, i thought i was going to open a bigger can of worms with my comment. lol. 

i guess, like @icbm said, perhaps i was using "average" speakers. perhaps i need to try some "great" speakers alongside the "average" to hear what all the "fuss" is about. 
    I certainly think you'd hear the difference if you compare for example a G12T-75 to a Vintage 30. The 75 has loose low-end, clear scooped mids and a slightly buzzy top-end, whereas the V30 has tight low-end, thick mids with a very prominent upper-mid peak, and smooth rolled-off top end - and is noticeably louder. And those are both Celestions!

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Get a Creamback. The non-heritage Greenback doesn't sound quite right to my ears, the Creamback is much nicer
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    mark_jwedge;969680" said:
    [quote="ecc83;969668"] Are you're perchance far from Chalky? Dave.
    I'm not sure, if he had one for sale then it's not this one. At least I don't think it is but then the guy I got it from didn't mention the forum but you never know[/quote]

I'm near Oxford if you want to take up @ecc83's offer. Where are you?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24572
    Vids

Just as a few examples. Listen with good speakers or headphones.