Amp volume issue

2»

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Thanks. I assume it's safe to jst take out the valves, have a look around etc?
    I don't think it's necessary to take the valves out, but I'd wait for @ICBM to give you the valve amp safety 101 before you go poking around inside the amp. You should definitely unplug it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    With this one it should be as simple as turning off and unplugging it. Although there is a theoretical risk that the filter caps could retain a charge, in practice they will discharge almost completely through the valves before they cool down fully. There may be some small residual voltage but it won't be dangerous.

The thing *not* to do is to remove the valves then turn it on. If you do that it will guarantee the caps won't discharge afterwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Ok, thank you. It's been unplugged since Tuesday so I guess it's nice and ok then. As an amp novice, what should I be looking for and where should I be looking?
    Things that look like this, although not always with as many wires.

Give them all a wiggle, or if they're not fixed with hot-melt glue, unplug and re-plug them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Things that look like this, although not always with as many wires.

Give them all a wiggle, or if they're not fixed with hot-melt glue, unplug and re-plug them.
    Thanks. I'll have a look tonight and see what I find. Very much appreciate your help on this
    I've just taken out the amp bit from the chassis and the white connectors were all glued in but I gave them a wriggle anyway. I took out the valves and then back in again making sure they're in properly. I assume it's bow safe to plug back in again?!
    I've just taken out the amp bit from the chassis and the white connectors were all glued in but I gave them a wriggle anyway. I took out the valves and then back in again making sure they're in properly. I assume it's bow safe to plug back in again?!
    Yes.

Thanks. It started off at its usual volume. All good I thought. But then the volume seemed to gradually reduce. It's useable but just quieter than it should be. Do you think changing the power tubes would be the next option?
    Hmm.switched it off for 15 mins and it's back to normal again...very frustrating!
    It started off at its usual volume. All good I thought. But then the volume seemed to gradually reduce. It's useable but just quieter than it should be.
    Ah - that sounds like it might be the 'thermistor fault', which is a known problem on these amps. The symptoms you gave before didn't sound like it was…

Do the valves look like they're glowing dimmer than they should be when it's quiet?

Do you think changing the power tubes would be the next option?
    Probably not, since they're still unlikely to be the cause, but if you have a spare set it's worth trying.

Ah - that sounds like it might be the 'thermistor fault', which is a known problem on these amps. The symptoms you gave before didn't sound like it was…

Do the valves look like they're glowing dimmer than they should be when it's quiet?

.[/quote]

I'm not sure to be honest. No idea how power valves should glow? Is the thermistor fault likely to be an expensive fix?

I don't have any spare output valves so can't check without buying some
    It will be all the valves if it's the thermistor. You should be able to see the filaments glowing much less brightly than normal as the amp gets quieter.

It's not a very expensive fix, but not one you can do yourself.

A spare set of valves isn't a bad thing to have anyway, so it may be worth buying some - sometimes different ones will draw slightly different amounts of current, and that could be just enough not to trip the thermistor into overheating… although not very likely.

Thank you for your help. Really appreciated. Will get so valves and in the meantime try and find a local amp tech
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As ICBM says, sounds like the thermistor in the heater circuit, does the power-on LED gradually dim in conjunction with the volume fade? as this is fed off the heater circuit - though may not be that noticeable unless you look carefully.
    DJH83004 said:
    As ICBM says, sounds like the thermistor in the heater circuit, does the power-on LED gradually dim in conjunction with the volume fade? as this is fed off the heater circuit - though may not be that noticeable unless you look carefully.
    The LED has always been a bit intermittent to be honest - so it doesn't seem to relate to anything else. It's usually off actually. I used the amp at church yesterday and it worked perfectly. I'll get some new output tubes anyway and look for a tech
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    DJH83004 said:
    The LED has always been a bit intermittent to be honest - so it doesn't seem to relate to anything else. It's usually off actually. I used the amp at church yesterday and it worked perfectly. I'll get some new output tubes anyway and look for a tech
    If you are located anywhere near Nottinghamshire (North Notts actually) be more than happy to have a proper look at it, just let me know.
    DJH83004 said:
    DJH83004 said:
    If you are located anywhere near Nottinghamshire (North Notts actually) be more than happy to have a proper look at it, just let me know.
    Thanks! I'll try new valves and if that fails, I'll get in touch. Appreciate that!