Carr (as in the amp maker) owners

monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
These intrigue me and I'm looking for a nice pedal platform combo circa 20-40 watts. 3D cleans is my starting point so I'm assuming rambler, or maybe sportsman
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    Only had my Rambler a week but first impressions are it's probably one of the best amps I've ever had at taking pedals. 
    I think it's because of the headroom in the pre amp and it doesn't sound harsh in any way.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    couldnt agree more got a Rambler last week also....swapped for a Carr Slant 6v....fantastic amp (as is the Slant).
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    had both. Rambler is cleaner and has more welly. Sportsman a bit warmer and a bit more compressed. And no trem. Prefer the latter but you cannot go wrong with the Rambler as a pedal platform.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 876
    I played a Rambler and a Vincent (since renamed Viceroy) and preferred the Vincent - great pedal platform in a compact package. Wish I`d never sold it!
  • Had my Rambler for over 10 years... gigged lots... never had a problem with it. Lovely cleans... so I do the rest with pedals.
  • As some of you may know, I'm a bit of a Carr fanboy and I've tried many many amps over the past 4-5 years...

...and the Carr's stand out. Steve Carr and his team offer excellent service, and not just before the sale as some do ;)

The amps are gloriously made, inside and out. A joy to own.

The Rambler is his stand out model, but it needs the Elsinore speaker, which really makes the amp excel. 

There are two modes - pentode and triode. Pentode offers that clean, loud, a bit more hi fi (maybe) class Fender cleans... whilst the Triode offers a lower watt, looser, maybe a touch more Blackface sound. This mode 'suggests' break up, rather than actualising it, imho; and it remains one of my fave amp sounds ever, and it has a little give in it.

I've shown this clip many times, and it starts off with the Mercury. Listen when the Rambler then kicks in at around 1.27. Here you are listening to classic, archetypal Rambler sounds, imho...

• There's a chance I may have a Slant 6V for sale, depending on how its head-to-head with my incoming Gartone Stageman goes. It has a bit more headroom than the Rambler, which might be a factor if you're gigging (it was for me), plus a gread od channel.
    That said, the Gartone will have to be mighty good for me to sell the Slant
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    newi123 said:
    I played a Rambler and a Vincent (since renamed Viceroy) and preferred the Vincent - great pedal platform in a compact package. Wish I`d never sold it!
    agreed. I swapped my Rambler for a Viceroy and preferred it