Orange OR15 issue

What's Hot
djc808djc808 Frets: 8
Hey guys,

So my Orange OR15 has been working great for home use, so good i know have it's big brother at my band's rehearsal space.

Anyway, a few days a go I came to play, turned it on and no sound, just a loud buzz. I suspected my pedalboard so plugged straight in but no better. If I push the amp up to full master volume I start to hear the guitar through the speakers but still only faint, as if the volume is on less than 1.
Both wattage modes do the same. 
It hasn't had any problems up until now and wasn't showing signs of ageing output valves the day before.

I've checked my speaker cabinet with another amp so the speaker isn;t the problem. Both fuses are fine.
I picked up some new EL84s suspecting they had gone (they still glow but I know the isn't always a sign they are working), this hasn't improved the problem.

Before I send it to a tech is there anything else worth checking to see what's going on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72561
    Try a new preamp valve in each position in turn - this sounds more like a preamp fault than power. If that doesn't fix it then it's not a valve fault and it needs a tech anyway.

If you don't have a spare preamp valve, swap the existing ones round. It's unlikely to fix it, but if the problem doesn't change at all then it's less likely to be a valve. If it does change it may help to identify which is the problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Had a go at swapping the preamp valves around and no difference. 
    Ordered a full set arriving tomorrow so fingers crossed that'll sort it out.
  • You were right ICBM. I'm not sure which valve was the problem. But a full set of preamp valves arrived this morning and it seems to have solved it. Sounds a bit nicer more like my OR50 now the Chinese factory valves are out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72561
    djc808 said:
    You were right ICBM. I'm not sure which valve was the problem. But a full set of preamp valves arrived this morning and it seems to have solved it. Sounds a bit nicer more like my OR50 now the Chinese factory valves are out.
    Now put the originals back one by one until you find the faulty one, throw that out and keep the other two - you never know when you might need one, even if they don't sound as good!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom