Faulty New amp day AND new cab day

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24702
edited February 2016 in Amps
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/10258853_10153824629043726_4366808477003891735_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9

Unfortunately I don't have a guitar cab in the house and my new Zilla isn't arriving until tomorrow so all I can do is look at it.

Still, it's is a lovely looking thing.

AND NOW... the cab has arrived too

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    I do love Brian's choreography

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    you have the Gain dialled too high...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Funny how these type of driven amps are the most popular and the cleaner type known amps don't get much of an audience or mention. Less exciting maybe?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24702
    Cab has arrived.

I've had a 10 minute go - what a lovely amp. Loads of detail and clarity. Tons of volume. The master volume is very good - none of that quiet - quiet - quiet - MENTAL sort of crap, just properly controllable.

The 3 way gain switch makes a big difference - takes it from super clean up to JCM800.

I'll get the pedals out later and see what drives it likes.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    what speakers are you using in the cab?
    Creambacks.
  • I wonder how this compares to the taco?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7600
    Looks shit

<jealous sulk> 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It likes my Hardwire CM2 and the Muffroom Cloud and it sounds unbelievable with my Fuzztool Jnr.

I'll dig out my Zoom drives next.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    What's the cab like? Currently running my Taco through my Zilla 2x12 but I'd prefer to leave that for my Bogner and have the matching 1x12 for a small rig.

How is the 1x12 quality wise? Is it worth the £450? I know it won't match a 2x12 but I'm hoping it'll still be lead and punchy.
    I don't see any point in buying US built cabs and paying for celestions to travel from Ipswich to California and back again.

If you want a good 1x12, get another Zilla.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Evildurka said:
    I wonder how this compares to the taco?
    It's completely different. It even has a surprising amount of headroom in the lowest of the 3 gain modes, which the Taco certainly doesn't have, which is no criticism of the taco as that's still a beast.
  • peachguitarsdotcom;977239" said:
    Evildurka said:

I wonder how this compares to the taco?

It's completely different. It even has a surprising amount of headroom in the lowest of the 3 gain modes, which the Taco certainly doesn't have, which is no criticism of the taco as that's still a beast.
    My problem is I have seen the custom shop smallbox heads now on your website. The reason I sold my smallbox was because I wanted more sizzle on the high gain which these seem to have fixed.... Need to check finances ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cor. The amp really likes OCD type drives.

And I finally found my at least 25 year old SD-1. And the switch is misbehaving massively. Bah.
    I've had a good play with it over the weekend.

At the very bottom of the master volume sweep it can sound a bit dull - but when the master goes up a bit the sparkle appears. I don't know if the dullness is just because my cab is brand new and it needs a bit more welly at the moment, or whether it's the amp.

When it's loud enough for the sparkle it is still within loud home volumes rather than gigging volume, so that's good, but I can't hear the telly then! :D

Despite "only" being 20W an attenuator would be useful - it really is a loud amp.

The 3 way gain switch changes the response quite a lot too. At the moment I'm using the mid gain setting and with the gain knob at about halfway, and then hitting it with pedals for more drive. The amp reacts very well to the guitar volume. Using it very clean and then running an AMT R2 (Dual Rec) pedal was lovely too.

The FX loop is excellent. I can't hear a difference with or without it. So far I've only put a reverb and delay in it but I'll dig out my modulation stuff when I get a moment.

I've got a TC HOF and a TC Alter-Ego X4 and I've set the Toneprints to the Devin Townsend settings that were designed to be used on both pedals at the same time for proper ethereal goodness.

Still lots to discover in the settings, but I'm enjoying it.

I do wonder if it could have used a presence control, and a standby switch. Unless the Master is put back to zero there is a bit of a thump.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    good stuff.. stick that on the FB page ;)
  • Congratulations. I too have a Zilla with Creambacks (mine's a Fatboy). It's a beast. Finally got my first three gigs with it in the next few days. Can't wait to give it the beans in a big space.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Cor. The amp really likes OCD type drives.

And I finally found my at least 25 year old SD-1. And the switch is misbehaving massively. Bah.
    Have a read of this ...

http://www.dingotone.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Boss-Switch-Clean.pdf
    Cor. The amp really likes OCD type drives.

Have a read of this ...

http://www.dingotone.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Boss-Switch-Clean.pdf
    Or at under £40 for a new one...
  • Cor. The amp really likes OCD type drives.

Have a read of this ...

Or at under £40 for a new one...
    Yeah but old ones is better, innit.
    ;)