Lighting - Help

gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Our old bassist was in charge of our lights and since he has departed it's now fallen on my shoulders (as well as being the sound engineer, roadie, rigger, etc etc)

I've no idea what to do with these lights at all !

We have two of these thingsimage

And another laser type thing that makes pretty patterns on the floor/roof/wall.

These were always sat 3 in a line on a t-bar which is frankly a real pain in the bum and not very effective (in my opinion)

I was thinking about using the two 'par cans' as uplighters at the front or side of the stage and then doing something different with the laser thingy.

Any thoughts / ideas would be most welcome

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

Up lighting tends to shine in your face, ideally you light from in front but up high. To be honest to do anything effective you need more lights than you have. Old lamp based Par cans are available fully working for around a tenner each these days die to lack of DMX. A few of those on a sound to light dimmer pack will be cheap and effective
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Further to what Danny said, a couple of old PAR56 cans with darkish colours at the front corners of the stage as front/up lighters is cheap and easy. Watch out they get hot and let them cool some before moving them or the bulbs blow.

Get a cheap DMX controller or at least link the three LED cans so they are master and slave to a single controller on random. A separate controller allows you to set moods and 'scenes' with your lamps. Trying to not set up Tripods etc will result in piss poor performance probably not worth the effort at all.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    What about using those two as up lighters on the drum kit, and get some new DMX LED lights for the rest of the band?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • What the guys said. And put the laser on Ebay they are shit and annoying.