Live lighting DMX control - help please

What's Hot
I play in a wedding/functions band and we have some nice ADJ lights that we link together via DMX

We're going to add more lights, as a band member is leaving and taking his lights.

The current problem is that when we play live, its very much all or nothing, as we just plug the lights in and play, we can't turn any off as some take a while to boot up

What I would like is a very simple DMX controller with a handful of pre-sets so that we can blackout some lights for some songs. Something the drummer can just press 'preset 1' and it affect a group of predetermined lights, not sequencing.

we don't play to a click so i'm not looking to program them.

we mostly use American DJ lights, if that makes any difference

cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    DMX controllers come in all shapes and sizes, these days the DJ small band stuff is all made in china and carries several brands in import. Many are plastic cased and can be vulnerable to big feet or careless handling/packing so think about that at the same time.

£50 gets you something like the Chauvet Obey universal or similar. This would have 6 channels for LED type lamps but needs Dimmers if you use old fashioned incandescent lamps. as with most of these a modicum of pre programming is required but once you get the hang of it you will save the programs and forget that. This one can't do sound to light from the sales blurb.

For the same money on evil bea you could get a showtec showmaster 24 ch DMX Control Desk which will do everything you want up to and including theatre productions. (again several brandnames and formats with Rack ears or pre moulded case etc.).

If you find S/H controllers on the bay see if you can download the manual and make sense of it, if it suits your needs you might bag a bargain.

Whatever you do set aside an evening at the kitchen table figuring out the functions and making presets for you own needs. The options on what can be achieved with average LED colour lamps can be quite stunning with a bit of imagination.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the guidance ESBlonde.

its all outside of my comfort zone! would they Chauvet obey allow a band member to just hit 'pre-set 1' at the beginning of a song, then leave their movement to sound-activated etc?

I think the showtec desk is more than I need, and is huge!

• I base my lighting rig round a ADJ Par Bar thingy - which has a foot controller - and then a load of LED strips and PAR cans DMX into it. The Par Bar has a nice foot controller that changes colours, programs and does blackout.

I'm also sure ADJ gear works off a remote control unit too