Favourite microphones

Probably my all time favourite microphone is AKG's C414 EB.

Airy, detailed, and complex, are the words I would use to describe my memories of this wondrous little silver box of audio goodness.  I have used it for pretty much everything in past years, from overheads and ambient mics to vocals, from individual acoustic instruments to recording whole symphony orchestras, and it has always excelled.

Having been out of the music business for so long, I was taking a nerdy journey back in time and came across this article on the various incarnations of the C414, so I thought I would share it with you, and maybe get your thoughts on your favourite microphones in return.

As the author kindly pointed out me: "I’m obliged to remind you that you’re currently reading an online microphone shootout, an exercise that ranks just a few points lower on the get-a-date-scale than learning conversational Klingon", but what the hell, I like this stuff, and you may like it too, so here goes...

It is an interesting article, covers the historical incarnations, and has comparative sound clips, so I hope some of you find it useful.

Well that's mine...

so what is your favourite microphone, and why ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    edited February 2016
    Its not a vintage classic but I love my SE Titan - suits my voice and has a fantastic 'warmth' to it that I haven't heard in other mics

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    As a guitarist, I love my Sm57

It just works
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Depends on the application but these are my go to mics- I only usually change from these if something isn't working. 

Vocals C12.
    Guitar: E906, C414, Royer 121, U87
    Bass: Beyer M88
    Drums: Beyer M88 (kick), Earthworks DK25 set (oh), RE20 (snare), U87's for room mics.

I have a lot of options here though- I invested in good microphones early on in my career and never regretted it.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Of mics I actually own, the RE20. Just because it'll perform admirably on anything, even if there could be better choices. Of mics I've used, the Coles 4038. It just sounds like music, I love it. Just... Don't blow into it.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    SM57 is a good starter for guitar. Sennheiser 421 is another good option there.

I'm liking the Rode K2 for vocals and acoustic guitar at the moment.

Overheads - Oktava's...
    Kick drum - Audix D6

We've also got some Golden Age ribbon mics that are luurrrrrrvvvvvveeellyyyyyyy.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Ah, you're back Drew. Are you talking 012s? I used to have a matched pair of those, liked them over drums because they seemed to bring out the body of the drums and not go too crazy with the brass.
  • I've heard good things about the GAP ribbon mics, especially the R2 actives. I have their Pre-73 preamp, which I like a lot.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    A plus 1 on the Titan, very good mic indeed, may I recommend a stereo matched pair of Rode M5's, absolutely excellent on acoustic guitar
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    octatonic said:
    Depends on the application but these are my go to mics- I only usually change from these if something isn't working. 

Vocals C12.
    Guitar: E906, C414, Royer 121, U87
    Bass: Beyer M88
    Drums: Beyer M88 (kick), Earthworks DK25 set (oh), RE20 (snare), U87's for room mics.

I have a lot of options here though- I invested in good microphones early on in my career and never regretted it.

Nice!
    Drew_fx said:
    Kick drum - Audix D6

Love it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I agree with the OP about the C414    I thought about selling mine this week as they haven't been used for a while but I know I'd end up buying again.  

I like the beta 57 for my vocals live and a senn 906 on my guitar cabs.

Beyer M301 is a very flexible mic and I've had a few over the years,  usually not that long after deciding I don't need one I buy another.   

Ive got a pair of groove tube LDC's that I bought cheap years ago that give a different flavour and are quite warm and although they aren't getting used I can't imagine getting rid of them. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
    edited February 2016
    Fwiw C414s are the most varied sounding production mics out there. 414eb often had the ck12 caps which changed, then many iterations from dark (TL) to bright (newer models).
    The first Coldplay album's vox was done with C414EB and they get alot of use as overheads or room mics as the circuit is relatively clean. Nice on clean electric gtrs too.

I was pretty obsessed with mics for a while in my gearslutz phase. Usage all depends on application; matching a hard mic to a soft source or vice versa and using polar pattern to capture or de-emphasise good or bad bits.

It's a no-brainer using a valve LDC for vocals, double bass or acoustics (Pearlman TM-1 or brighter SE gemini ii) or a senn 421 for less pristine vocals, and I'm getting into ribbons for drums, acoustic and electric gts. (I've a pair of the SE voodoos & a lundahl shinybox)
    Loads of dynamics: senn E906 or audix i5 for elec guitar, beyer m201 for snare, re20 or 421 for kick.

Stuff I would love to acuire if I keep going would be a Flea 49, a pair of Coles 4038 and a senn 441.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7482
    Any thoughts on a vocal mic for a home hobby studio?

If you could only have one, and you were spending adult hobbyist, not vintage collector money?
    Red ones are better. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10426
    TimmyO said:

If you could only have one, and you were spending adult hobbyist, not vintage collector money?
    Shure SM7 would be mine choice for home studio, great detail but less prone to picking up unwanted household noise and ugly reflections from non treated walls and such
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Danny1969 said:
    TimmyO said:

Shure SM7 would be mine choice for home studio, great detail but less prone to picking up unwanted household noise and ugly reflections from non treated walls and such
    Very good suggestion.

If you want to go for an LDC for around the same money then the Blue Baby Bottle is good.
    Also check out the Avantone CV12.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7482
    octatonic said:
    Danny1969 said:
    TimmyO said:

Very good suggestion.

If you want to go for an LDC for around the same money then the Blue Baby Bottle is good.
    Also check out the Avantone CV12.
    Thanks guys.

For some reason I'd assumed that it would automatically be a condenser for home studio vocals but that makes sense re background noise.

I'd spotted the Avantone from a google for less expensive valve mics - I'm not going to be able to demo anything so wary of getting anything that might be harder to get the most out of.

Are SM7 as faked as othe Shures or might I find one used?
    Red ones are better.