Have you nailed a tone?

What's Hot
EvoEvo Frets: 308
Just like the title says, I don't mean have you gotten a good tone that works or a close setting quite cheaply. I thought it'd be nice to share those times when you're almost indistinguishable from the record. If you're feeling generous then tell us what you use as well and what settings you have.

I know these types of threads are fairly common with patch based modeling gear so that everyone can share their patches but what about regular pedals and gear? I'm sure most of us play in cover bands, so what are your secret weapons??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    My secret weapon is the Boss CS3 Compressor / Sustainer with the Attack and Sustain controls turned up to max. Gives me enough sustain and smooth square-wave "distortion" (doesn't actually sound distorted) to approximate (I wouldn't say "nail") Gilmour, Slash, SRV, Santana, etc.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    No and long ago I discovered trying to do so is a fools errand. I'm not George Harrison so I'll never sound like George Harrison. I'm not Jimi Hendrix so I'll never sound like Jimi Hendrix. I'm not ... well hopefully you get the point. I sound like me though any guitar I play just like I sound like me though any mike/pa I sing through. Find your own voice on the guitar just as you do singing. The audience won't care.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410

The main thing for me is always try and copy the parts as exactly as you can, that's a huge part of it. Tone wise I can get a reasonable amount of close classic rock sounds from a Marshall JMP1 and a Boss GT10. Nothing nailed exactly but close enough to reinforce the point
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    I think the "own voice" thing certainly has merit, however to say that sounding like another player is a fools errand is actually the reason I started this thread.

It's not impossible, it's just a different skill and one that not all guitarists decide to develop. Yes, a certain amount of tone is in the fingers. But not all of it. Listen to Greg Koch imitating Clapton, SRV or Hendrix and you'll hear what I mean.

For example, take a bridge humbucker into a good overdrive channel. Put a phase 90 about 25% and enjoy the EVH goodness!

Admittedly not a difficult one to do but it's a starter for 10
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    Clapton woman? Back off that tone control and boost those mids!
  • Danny1969 said:

The main thing for me is always try and copy the parts as exactly as you can, that's a huge part of it. Tone wise I can get a reasonable amount of close classic rock sounds from a Marshall JMP1 and a Boss GT10. Nothing nailed exactly but close enough to reinforce the point
    I used a JMP1 for years in my rack and I've still got it. I used to midi switch it with a GT6. I agree it can approximate a wide range of tones. Are you using that live and in what configuration and what power amp?

Btw. It would be good to hear some clips on this thread.

It's not a competition.
    Danny1969 said:

I used a JMP1 for years in my rack and I've still got it. I used to midi switch it with a GT6. I agree it can approximate a wide range of tones. Are you using that live and in what configuration and what power amp?

Yes I use it live with an EL34 \ 100 \ 100 Marshall power amp into a stereo 4 X 12" cab. Midi switched like with your GT. 

Clip wise here's a Van Halen type sound 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited February 2016
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Yes I use it live with an EL34 \ 100 \ 100 Marshall power amp into a stereo 4 X 12" cab. Midi switched like with your GT. 

Clip wise here's a Van Halen type sound 

That's sounds amazing. Unfortunately I can only hit the Wow button once. I'm totally impressed.

I did the guitar in an online collaboration put together by a singer/bass player (Scalerwave) in the US and a Canadian drummer (Digital Mafia) a few years ago on the Reaper forum. We got pretty close to Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary. But I used Amplitube ampsim.

Apologies: I've just spotted this is the Live section of the forum. Newbie error again :(
    I'll try to get this right - eventually.

It's not a competition.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    For a while my "is my rig all working properly" test was the riff from I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for - Strat in pickup position 2, modulated delay, a few db of clean boost into my AC30 with blues turned up.

It sounded exactly right, which was nice. Only problem was, I didn't actually use that sound in my band, so it was a pointless exercise!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    edited February 2016
    [crap joke deleted]

• IIRC Paul Gilbert said he would try to get as close as possible to the guitar tone off Blackout by The Scorpions when setting up and that's how he got his sound. Buddy Whittington used to try to get a Beano type tone from a strat and a Vox style amp and that was his Bluesbreakers tone.
    In my blues band days I'd try to sound like Clapton on From the Cradle ( his 335 into small Fender amp sound) using what I had (MIJ strat into Laney combo). It probably wasn't close at all but interesting how you can use someone else's tone as a template to get something that works even if the end result is miles off.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    Nope. But at one point I'd nailed 6 Lee's and 3 Adam's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

Busy night, huh?

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    Gassage said:

Bukkakee!!!

I did the guitar in an online collaboration put together by a singer/bass player (Scalerwave) in the US and a Canadian drummer (Digital Mafia) a few years ago on the Reaper forum. We got pretty close to Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary. But I used Amplitube ampsim.

Apologies: I've just spotted this is the Live section of the forum. Newbie error again :(
    I'll try to get this right - eventually.

That sounds sweet as a nut mate 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • It seems straightforward enough. just use the same or next closest gear. It think it would be more challenging to post vids trying to nail tones with totally disparate gear.