Educate me Fender Blues / Pro Junior

JD50JD50 Frets: 661
edited February 2016 in Amps
Well seems my back problems have returned and so lugging a 410 is not an option for the foreseeable.

I've been looking at the juniors as an option until I'm able to lift again.

Not managed to play any yet but the reviews seem mixed with some folk liking them stock whilst others swap speakers and perform all sorts of mods.
From what a compressed signal out of youtube tells me these amps sound ok to my ears.
So what's the skinny folks, have you modded yours, did it make a huge difference etc?
Hows the head room, is the break up nice?
Difference between the versions III and the the others?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    Buy that Princeton in the classifieds, completely different league to blues junior and one of the best recording/ small gig amps of all time. Weighs nothing.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 661
    koss59;979700" said:
    Buy that Princeton in the classifieds, completely different league to blues junior and one of the best recording/ small gig amps of all time. Weighs nothing.
    Sadly out of my price range, I have £400 tops and the Juniors turn up on gumtree/ebay for around £250 so I'd also pocket some change.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31742
    I just rammed a brand new Jet City Custom 22 head into an old Fender 1x12 combo cabinet, total cost £260.

It's ten times the amp of either of those two (and I've owned both).
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4286
    I just acquired a Blues Jr III.

It's fine. Sounds nice.

That's kind of all there is to say.... and is no more or less than what I was looking for given what I had to spend.

It's not what I would call tour-worthy from a constructional point of view but for the occasional electric gig (I'm mostly an acoustic player) it'll be fine if not abused. I read up on the mods and concluded that I couldn't be arsed with any of them...I was looking for an amp, not a new hobby :)

• GassageGassage Frets: 31016
    Pro jr- simple, simple tone stack, oodles of tone, best played cranked.

Blues Jr- mini Blues Deluxe basically- bells n whistles but for me the Pro tone is better.

Princeton in another league though and you'll get one for £500.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Thanks all, I'm heading to the shops on Saturday to try out a blues jnr, pro jnr, princeton and a deluxe reverb.... Lets hope they have a sound proof booth!
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    buy my Blues jr so that I can get the Princeton in the classifieds - that's the deal I've been hoping to engineer for some time now ...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31742
    I've just sold my two year old Princeton for 500, hold out for one of those, it's absolutely in a different league.
    p90fool;981462" said:
    I've just sold my two year old Princeton for 500, hold out for one of those, it's absolutely in a different league.
    What have you replaced it with?
    Could you keep it clean with a full band or was it breaking up by that volume?
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    A Princeton will start to break up in a full band with a loud drummer. But then so will a pro and blues jnr.

The blues and pro are voiced differently so don't expect the pro to be a smaller version of the blues.

The blues jnr is a great little gigging amp and I know lots of people that use it week in, week out. However, if you're after that fender sound you'll be wanting the Princeton.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com