My Fender PRRI has died...

What's Hot
GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
My PRRI stopped working earlier today, no power light and no sound - completely dead. I've tried changing the fuse and changing the power lead, even changed the bulb all without joy. All valves are seated correctly. Any ideas what I can try - I can't imagine it's a valve problem as their is no power to the bulb?? Grateful for your wisdom. :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited February 2016
    I'm no expert, but it sounds very power supply related and there will be more than one fuse in the chain - plug and amp will both be fused for example.

Over and above that, I'd be using a DMM with care to check for continuity and following the signal path
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I think your right about the power supply relatedness. Both fuses have been checked - all fine. Not sure I'm confident enough to check the continuity through the signal path on a notionally live amp though, I'll probably kill myself!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    If my Princeton didn't work I'd probably kill myself too!
  • SunDevil;980331" said:
    I'm no expert, but it sounds very power supply related and there will be more than one fuse in the chain - plug and amp will both be fused for example.

Over and above that, I'd be using a DMM with care to check for continuity and following the signal path
    I'm not sure a modulated delay pedal would help here
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483
    Not familiar with that amp but I've seen the switch go faulty on some similar models
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thing is it was working fine - then I answered the phone, when I hung up it was no longer working. Very strange.
  • Gagaryn;980526" said:
    Thing is it was working fine - then I answered the phone, when I hung up it was no longer working. Very strange.
    Have you tried ringing the person back?

Could be worth a try....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have a lol! I could ring him back and steel his PRRI!
    Steel?? Steal even!
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3183
    edited February 2016 tFB Trader
    Could be a number of things but if a) the fuses are definitely OK and b) the power cord is good then it's time for a trip to a tech. I've had to replace many PTs on these with open primary windings.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    Is it under warranty? If so, contact @MattFGBI.

If not, PM me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Presuming warranty is a year? If so its out of warranty, I've had it 2 or 3 years.
    RiftAmps said:
    I've had to replace many PTs on these with open primarily windings.
    Could it be a thermal fuse problem? The schematic shows one.

Of course getting to it may not be easy even if that's the cause...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    2 year warranty. Check your receipt and let me know. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Definitely more than 2 years old unfortunately. I guess it might be about three years old now.

Despite never having left my living room, never mind being gigged, this hasn't been a particularly reliable amp -

• initially random volume drops that valve swaps didn't help (Guitarguitar eventually swapped the amp for another),
    • then the usual rattling and farting that these are known for (not a big problem when playing at home, improved with some fiddling and draft excluder),
    • then a dead reverb tank (replaced with a TAD tank)
    • and now a completely dead amp and the possibility of it being PT related! 

Not a particularly happy tale to tell and definitely not the best £1000ish I've ever spent.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Most likely to be the fuse in the filament supply.

The jewel light runs of the filament supply so if this is blown the amp light won't come on either.

Of course having the amp wired to 230 rather than 240 VAC doesn't help.......

jpfamps said:
    Hopefully. I'll be having a look at it later this week and will update.

jpfamps said:

The jewel light runs of the filament supply so if this is blown the amp light won't come on either.

Of course having the amp wired to 230 rather than 240 VAC doesn't help.......

I rewired to 240v as soon as I got it, in the vain hop of avoiding this kind of issue. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix. Thanks to John et al for all your help with this.

• keirkeir Frets: 138
    How would you go about changing the voltage to 240v? Is it a noticeable difference sound wise or is it a reliability thing?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    You need to swap two wires inside - they're attached with push-connectors so it's quite easy. It's for reliability, and doesn't affect the sound much.