Has anyone tried that Vintage Gordon Giltrap acoustic?

Looks quite interesting just wondering if anyone here has given is a good going over?

Im sure the oracle Bertie has!.
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    This is relevant to my interests.

Fancied one since they launched it and I think they added new model/models to the family this year.

Most of the reviews suggest it is very good and the demos I have heard sounded pretty decent.
  • Yeah it seems good and also pretty good value as it comes with a hard case as well.
    Old Is Gold
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited December 2013
    no

:P

:D

TBH,  not sure I like that headstock, and defo dont like the "pointed" shoulders...........looks a bit  '70s  G-Plan'     
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • No. But I have seen Gordon play one from three rows back. He made it sound good.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I tried one in Ivor Mairants about a year ago, I think it was one of the original models. I wasn't impressed, the finish was rough and to me it didn't sound that great acoustically, although amplified it was nice. Maybe I tried a duff one.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    The one I tried was pretty awesome (although I'm biased). Nice size, body just big enough for a bit of lower-mid bollocks without being too big to strum on the sofa, REALLY good electronics. Cosmetically a bit of an acquired taste, maybe (I don't know if I'd go for one), but if you can get on with the looks they're great. IMO.
  • As luck would have it, although I've not played one, I heard one being demoed the other day in a shop and it sounded really, really nice unplugged.  When they plugged it in, it sounded really good (into a marshall acoustic amp of some sort).  Plugged in sounds are always hard to judge IMO, but this one held up and I assumed I was listening to something a bit pricier than a few hundred quid.  

I'm not an acoustic nut, though.

I love the looks, too.
  • I've followed GG for years and spoken to him a number of times.  He has been asked over the years to endorse guitars by so many top-notch guitar makers, it is very unlikely he would put his name to something that was rubbish, so I suspect it is pretty good.  
    However, personally I don't like the shape and I suspect if I tried one, I wouldn't sound like Giltrap 
    ;)
  • Yeah the shape is an aquired taste but I think that is why you can get so many good deals on them at the moment.
    Old Is Gold
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    i like the shape, its inspiring a few designs for me at the moment
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    iirc, the original GG model got some pretty good reviews and represented good vfm. Then a better model was released and the earlier models were sold off at a discount and represented excellent vfm. The newer model was slightly more at rrp but got some fantastic reviews. GGs own stage guitar was more like the latter model (but not exact). Can't remember where I read all this though, probably on some dodgy review site.