NGD! Rory Gallagher fans enter here....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Saw Taste about a dozen times between 1969-71: Romford Kings Head, Dagenham Roundhouse, Marquee, what was the name of that Ballroom up the back of Soho ? Lyceum, that's it.  I too cannot remember all the venues :(
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw Taste about a dozen times between 1969-71: Romford Kings Head, Dagenham Roundhouse, Marquee, what was the name of that Ballroom up the back of Soho ? Lyceum, that's it.  I too cannot remember all the venues :(
    Everyone has seen Rory but me! It is my curse for being a youth! What did you think of him? Venues don't really matter, surely they are the crust and Rory was the meat and potato of that pie!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, I'm imprinted - I only like small clubs and I won't go to see bands in large venues. Rory was unmatched on the scene for a while back then - as Jimi intimated.  Actually I think he was better in Taste than he was later.  
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    Strap on a Les Paul and you have some hard acts to follow ... strap on a Strat and you try to tread in the footprints of the gods :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strap on a Les Paul and you have some hard acts to follow ... strap on a Strat and you try to tread in the footprints of the gods :)
    Have a wisdom... but there are some exceptions such as Peter Green ;)
  • Well, I'm imprinted - I only like small clubs and I won't go to see bands in large venues. Rory was unmatched on the scene for a while back then - as Jimi intimated.  Actually I think he was better in Taste than he was later.  
    I must admit, I prefer Rory's earlier stuff...

Smaller venues are for the win but I wouldn't have turned down seeing Taste on the Isle of White!
  • There's a more general truth IMO about music artists hidden in there.  Their first rise to prominence is sometimes in the nature of a flare, only for their brilliance to fade after a few years - understandably.  I often say to bandmates that performance is about current time in the woodshed, not former excellence. Debatable of course, but EVH a case in point, and, I would argue, Ritchie Blackmore.  Plenty more examples I'm sure come to mind. I am pretty certain that would have happened to Jimi, had he survived. Prepared to be shot down however.
  • There's a more general truth IMO about music artists hidden in there.  Their first rise to prominence is sometimes in the nature of a flare, only for their brilliance to fade after a few years - understandably.  I often say to bandmates that performance is about current time in the woodshed, not former excellence. Debatable of course, but EVH a case in point, and, I would argue, Ritchie Blackmore.  Plenty more examples I'm sure come to mind. I am pretty certain that would have happened to Jimi, had he survived. Prepared to be shot down however.
    I think I'd agree with you to an extent.

On one of the many Jimi Hendrix docs, there is an interesting interview with Lemmie (Jimi's roadie if you weren't aware) where he states that Jimi's career would have definitely taken a turn in the wrong direction if he didn't die. He says that Jimi was intending to do some sort of guitar orchestra and loads of crazy stuff that nobody was into. Lemmie is actually really funny on it because all the other guitar legends are kissing Jimi's arse for 5 minutes before Lemmie comes on and says dying was the best thing that ever happened to him. (At least that's how I remember it!)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Panama_Jack666;106521" said:

Everyone has seen Rory but me! It is my curse for being a youth! What did you think of him? Venues don't really matter, surely they are the crust and Rory was the meat and potato of that pie!
    Think that is bad I am more than old enough and never got around to it, more's the pity.

Worse still a guy I used to jam/play with was his guitar tech for a long time back in the day and I still never got around to seeing him, FML and lucky white heather.
    :(
  • johnnyurq said:
    Panama_Jack666;106521" said:

Think that is bad I am more than old enough and never got around to it, more's the pity.

Worse still a guy I used to jam/play with was his guitar tech for a long time back in the day and I still never got around to seeing him, FML and lucky white heather.
    :(
    Nevermind. I never got around to seeing Gary Moore which was a bummer. I turned down tickets to see him weeks before he died :(

Feel sorry for Rory's guitar tech - certainly had his work cut out with that strat!

De-railing the thread slightly, I saw you said you for for the Ministry of Justice. My ex works for them. She's called Laura Clarkson. I don't expect you know her but you never know...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Saw Taste about a dozen times between 1969-71: Romford Kings Head, Dagenham Roundhouse, Marquee, what was the name of that Ballroom up the back of Soho ? Lyceum, that's it.  I too cannot remember all the venues :(
    Saw him a few times. He was fucking great!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.