Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• A friend of mine used to own a vintage guitar shop.

In 1990 he acquired a 1959 Les Paul Standard. His insurers wouldn't allow him to display it, as it was £10,000.

He sold it to name player who presumably had 'more money than sense'.

Whether you 'get' Dumbles - or their prices - they consistently sell for huge amounts of money. My guess would be in 10 years time, the buyer will be able to turn a significant profit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72876
    I can't see it happening with amps in the same way. There isn't the 'old wood' factor like there is with guitars.

And especially things like this, which were built with off-the-shelf Fender and MusicMan transformers, there's really no "magic" that can't be replicated if you really want to.

The prices for these are already at the beyond silly level, and I expect that as the generation of players who seem to revere them so much heads for the great gig in the sky, they'll end up as little more than curiosities. Maybe not in ten years, but perhaps in not that many more.

Of course I could be wrong...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bet it sounds good though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72876
    Bucket said:
    Bet it sounds good though.
    I don't know. I've never played a real Dumble, but I've played one of the more highly-regarded clones (Fuchs). It was decent enough, but it was… just an amplifier at the end of the day. It didn't have any special magic that made me go Wow in the way (say) a '59 Tweed Bassman did, or a '76 Marshall 2203, or a Hiwatt 200 - just three random examples.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    the psychology of supply and demand...... amazing
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    No different to some fool paying out that amount on a new car. In a few years the amp might be worth similar but the car will be worth only half. Which buyer is the bigger fool?

Why do people always say "more money than sense" about rich people? If rich people have little sense why don't the clever poor become richer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28968
    I usually read "more money than sense" as meaning "more money than me".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's just @Gassage and his twins driving up the prices.
  • I am actually kind of tempted but I just can't justify owning a third Dumble.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited February 2016
    ...It's all triply bonkers, because even the vintage market's often-hilarious "as famously played by player X on track Y!!!" reasoning doesn't add up.

Great Dumble records? Erm, hang on. Robben Ford? Steve Lukather, Jay Graydon, Larry Carlton, possibly, now and then? SRV... a few tracks, maybe?

Compare that lot to one-tenth of the famous recordings made with Fender Deluxes, 50W Marshalls, etc, etc...

If the '70s/'80s Dumble session tone was REALLY anything worth chasing, we'd all be busy collecting Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezers, and Butler Overdrives, and Alesis Quadraverbs. 

Don't all dash at once to eBay, everyone...
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191

I am actually kind of tempted but I just can't justify owning a third Dumble.

Already sold
  • id buy it if it was a different colour
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Nice, but ain't no lazy j!!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    Might pop him a cheeky "Best Offer".....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    Hmm, I have my doubts about this being genuine. I can't see a stamped serial number on the back panel. Music Ground made some fakes which ended up in circulation with no stamped serial numbers...... Rob
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16253
    Funny thing Investments............
    When I was a kid at the start of the 1960s one of my friend's dad was a weird arty bohemian  type who all the other aspiring ' do the right thing ' parents found extremely peculiar especially because he was a divorcee with 3 children and wore corduroy jackets !
     Whilst our parents were rightly proud of their repro Constable Haywain prints in a real gilt frame hanging over the mantelpeice this strange chap "wasted " money on Lino cut prints by a little known Spanish artist ,sketches by another bizarre Spaniard with a waxed moustache and some odd paintings by a bloke called Jackson Pollack and a weird English artist called Stanley Spencer . He also had some erotic sculptures which were certainly not 'Good news for Britain ' and enough to warrant our parents banning us from ever going to play at this strange house.He collected other strange things like old photographs ( Cartier Bresson ) which gave our parents a real chuckle over their exotic prawn cocktails and Rafia wrapped Chianti .
     He died at a ripe old age about 8 years ago ......the less valuable half of the Art collection sold at Sothebys for excess £120m and the better half is on loan to Tate Modern for 50 years in some kind of Tax concession deal !
    We sold our " Haywain " to a local House clearance chap for £8 about 10 years ago 
     INVESTMENTS MAY GO DOWN AS WELL AS UP 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahh, the prices have started to come down, have they? Last one I saw went for $110,000. Might be time to sell up...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    edited February 2016
    Yeah - over time you need parts replacing and by all accounts with the Epoxy Goop all over the place will make it hard to keep the amp 'authentic' to say the least...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I saw Robben Ford play live once, he had his ODS on stage and whatever guitar he ran through it the tone was just....ok. Super smooth and rounded with very little bite. Every note sounded the same, like hearing someone talk with a monotone voice.

Although on a recording they sound great and I can hear all of the detail/nuances very clearly. I wonder if the Dumble tone just doesn't 'work' in a live situation.

I was also lucky enough to hear a Trainwreck Express played in the same venue the following year. That thing sounded incredible, it was textbook 'boutique' tone.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1639
    Don't these just sound like Fender amps?