Amp repair pricing

What's Hot
Just been quoted £45 an hour for amp troubleshooting/repair.

Does that sound fair/high/low?
Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds about right to me. Depends on competence to a large degree. I used to drive 100 miles to get my various worked on because the guy knew what he was doing and knew most issues inside out and fixed them fast. Same applies to amps.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I charge £40 an hour.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72772
    martinw said:
    I charge £40 an hour.
    Same here.

£45/hr is fine, especially if that's via a shop where they will probably add on a small admin charge etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Smashing. The guy has 30 years experience, is local and will collect and drop off so sounds like a good deal to me. Thanks all. :)
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    An expert can get a surprising amount of work done in an hour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

Always tricky to presume about another man's livelihood. I can only off what a friend of mine did in the TV/VCR trade (although he would tackle most other things including amps. I got those) .

Firstly he had a non returnable deposit. 20yrs ago it was 15quid, today I would say £25 at least. This stopped time wasters and junk from stuffing up the workshop.

Charge was about £25 plus parts iirc flat fee, no hourly rate* . He did however give himself the option of working on a "time and materials" basis for odd jobs, unknown products ot stuff that had been messed about with although the latter was almost always bounced back, invariably too much hassle. He had the option if thing got sticky to give back the deposit and say "never darken my door......"!

*This avoided the problem of "cost comparisons" In a relatively small town people would talk in the pub and would feel ripped off it a product's repair cost was greatly different for the apparently same fault. "We" know of course that "dead" can mean almost anything! All repair techs know that some jobs go easily and quickly yet other faults, especially intermittent ones, can take hour even days to sort and you simply cannot charge the time in the latter cases. Swings and roundabouts.

Lastly, anyone thinking of going into the repair business would do well to study consumer law especially that relating to Uncollected Goods!

Dave.

• gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    It sounds ok for france where in my experience most services are more expensive than uk. Out of interest whereabouts are you ?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It sounds fair to me
    I use the services of ICBM for my amp needs and I've always found him to be thorough and very reasonably priced. He worked on the best part of 3 grands worth of amps for me so the cost of getting them back on the road was tiny compared to the value of the amps themselves.
    I would always say trust is more important than per hour cost so as long as he is in the ballpark it should be about how much faith you have in him

I'm funny about amplifiers ... More so than guitars. Generally a badly done set up is less likely to kill you onstage ...
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I charge £44 / hour + parts.
  • Does anyone here tip for amp repairs?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Lol no but if someone goes out of their way I try to make sure they aren't out of pocket
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10488

I charge £30 an hour labour plus parts. It's not enough really when there's the workshop to pay for, the tools and other expenses before you pay yourself a bean 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Sassafras;984992" said:
    An expert can get a surprising amount of work done in an hour.
    Unless it's an SVT and an hour is about what it takes to get the bloody thing out of its box....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72772
    ... adding fifteen minutes for every time you trap your fingers under the chassis and need to stick them in a glass of ice water :).

Actually they're not too bad when you've worked out the routine. It's still a good five minute job though - and a lot of heavy lifting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    I know - I just don't like 'em. Them and AC30s.