Amp advice needed - come on the good people of The Fretboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'd buy an HRD or a Twin (if I was feeling strong). Having owned both a Mustang and a Blackstar ID both would be a massive step down in terms of live tone. 

For recording either buy a load box like a Jet City Jettenuator and use some cab plugins (Two Notes for example) or just don't bother recording through an amp at all and use Scuffham S-Gear which to my ears beats anything else I've tried including Axe FX. 
    Cheers monquixote - 

I am a self taught guitarist and home recorder - I've never heard of these load boxes before. I'll have a look into them. Do they offer a true reflection of the amps tone? 

I am happy using amp modelling software - i stated this thread as I am upgrading my stage amp and wondered if I could find a nice clean one that could also go straight into my audio interface (that valve sound is hard to replicate with software)

I am thinking - 
    1 - Roland JC40 - nice clean tone and can go into audio interface 
    2 - Fender Machette
    3 - Fender reverb or other nice valve amp and amp modelling software 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Curve ball - as it was marketed as a high gain monster (which it can do), but a Fender Machete?  It can be abnything BUT a high gain amp if you want it to be.

The Clean channel is really quite nice and can do bright clean very well - and with a switchable boost, would probably do everything you need right there.  The drive channel while marketed as high gain, can do a good low gain tone too with the pre low down.

50W all valve amp, so plently of clean volume, and it has a direct out with cab emulation, and a mute switch for silent recording - so would cover that recording need perfectly.

There are not many about, a used price could be anything really - and I have to admit I have though of selling mine (as my AFX rig just seems to get all the play time), which is probably why it came to mind (havent actually done anything active to initiate a sale, and am just as happy to keep it).  I would be within your budget though should I decide to sell mine - or if you can find one elsewhere. 

Its an amp you would need to try I guess though, but Id be up for that if were anywhere near close.

Decent demo - just ignore the gainy stuff.

Hey Paulmapp 8306

Appreciate you taking the time to make a suggestion mate, you've obviously considered my requirements too! 

I haven't heard of the machete - I am going to check out a few reviews. As you suggest the high gain end is really of no interest to me -but surely being a Fender amp it must have good clean tones..... if the connectivity is right we could have a winner.

You'd consider selling yours?
    Yeh - cleans are really nice actually.  Its not "typical vintage" fender I guess, its a little more modern sounding but it is nice.  To be honest I dont use the "lead" channel really either.  With the gain low it does a nice bluesy/breakup so could be used in that way - BUT the clean channel set clean (with bright if needed) and the F/S boost for a crunch is where I live.  As I said, that is not how the amp was marketed - it was a gain machine, so kind of lost its way.  It held up well against amps at the Nottingham amp fest including a MJW, Bad Cat, Two Rock, Redplate and Dr Z Maz.  Not quite as touch sensitive, but did hold up well onm the clean/breaking side of things.

I would consider selling mine.  I bought it as a pick up and go a couple of years ago - mainly because I new they were being dis-continued so were going for a good price for such an amp in the last few weeks.  It has done what I wanted - but if its been used more than 20 times in those two years Id be surprised - and never at gig levels (I tend to still use my AFX rig for that).  I could probably better use the money thats tied up in the amp.  Im a hoarder though, and until I can afford something more suitable (which I now have - one of 2, but both over £2k, so cant afford yet) I had not thought to list it for sale.  That said - if its the amp that would fit your needs (especially as there arnt that many about) Id be prepared to let it go now.

I may be able to get some vid clips done at home of the clean side of things (I kow you cant tell that much by clips - but they might help).
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 850
    edited February 2016
    I'd buy an HRD or a Twin (if I was feeling strong). Having owned both a Mustang and a Blackstar ID both would be a massive step down in terms of live tone. 

For recording either buy a load box like a Jet City Jettenuator and use some cab plugins (Two Notes for example) or just don't bother recording through an amp at all and use Scuffham S-Gear which to my ears beats anything else I've tried including Axe FX. 
    Cheers monquixote - 

I am a self taught guitarist and home recorder - I've never heard of these load boxes before. I'll have a look into them. Do they offer a true reflection of the amps tone? 

I am happy using amp modelling software - i stated this thread as I am upgrading my stage amp and wondered if I could find a nice clean one that could also go straight into my audio interface (that valve sound is hard to replicate with software)

I am thinking - 
    1 - Roland JC40 - nice clean tone and can go into audio interface 
    2 - Fender Machette
    3 - Fender reverb or other nice valve amp and amp modelling software 
    Load box's can work well.  I have a Fryette Power station, which is both an attenuator, re-amper and Direct interface (though it doesnt have cab emulation so you need to run Cab IRs in your DAW).  Its cheap for what it does, and reflects the raw amp tone very well - but it is £500 on its own......

Ive not tried the Jet City one - but Im sure (knowing their range) it would be much cheaper and do a decent enopuigh job.
  • Curve ball - as it was marketed as a high gain monster (which it can do), but a Fender Machete?  It can be abnything BUT a high gain amp if you want it to be.

The Clean channel is really quite nice and can do bright clean very well - and with a switchable boost, would probably do everything you need right there.  The drive channel while marketed as high gain, can do a good low gain tone too with the pre low down.

50W all valve amp, so plently of clean volume, and it has a direct out with cab emulation, and a mute switch for silent recording - so would cover that recording need perfectly.

There are not many about, a used price could be anything really - and I have to admit I have though of selling mine (as my AFX rig just seems to get all the play time), which is probably why it came to mind (havent actually done anything active to initiate a sale, and am just as happy to keep it).  I would be within your budget though should I decide to sell mine - or if you can find one elsewhere. 

Its an amp you would need to try I guess though, but Id be up for that if were anywhere near close.

Decent demo - just ignore the gainy stuff.

Hey Paulmapp 8306

Appreciate you taking the time to make a suggestion mate, you've obviously considered my requirements too! 

I haven't heard of the machete - I am going to check out a few reviews. As you suggest the high gain end is really of no interest to me -but surely being a Fender amp it must have good clean tones..... if the connectivity is right we could have a winner.

You'd consider selling yours?
    Yeh - cleans are really nice actually.  Its not "typical vintage" fender I guess, its a little more modern sounding but it is nice.  To be honest I dont use the "lead" channel really either.  With the gain low it does a nice bluesy/breakup so could be used in that way - BUT the clean channel set clean (with bright if needed) and the F/S boost for a crunch is where I live.  As I said, that is not how the amp was marketed - it was a gain machine, so kind of lost its way.  It held up well against amps at the Nottingham amp fest including a MJW, Bad Cat, Two Rock, Redplate and Dr Z Maz.  Not quite as touch sensitive, but did hold up well onm the clean/breaking side of things.

I would consider selling mine.  I bought it as a pick up and go a couple of years ago - mainly because I new they were being dis-continued so were going for a good price for such an amp in the last few weeks.  It has done what I wanted - but if its been used more than 20 times in those two years Id be surprised - and never at gig levels (I tend to still use my AFX rig for that).  I could probably better use the money thats tied up in the amp.  Im a hoarder though, and until I can afford something more suitable (which I now have - one of 2, but both over £2k, so cant afford yet) I had not thought to list it for sale.  That said - if its the amp that would fit your needs (especially as there arnt that many about) Id be prepared to let it go now.

I may be able to get some vid clips done at home of the clean side of things (I kow you cant tell that much by clips - but they might help).
    Yeah - I have to say Paul, I am seriously interested. I've been reading and watching reviews for a few hours now. Its a very versatile amp and can go straight into an audio interface. A valve amp that can do this really appeals to me. I'd have no use for the dirty channel at all by the look of things, but there is a wide range of tone available on the clean channel. Live I'd be using it for Ska, so a nice bright clean tone - which I use pedals to boost -but could maybe even use this amps foot switch - and it seems to have a very sensitive EQ which would be great for different sounds when recording.

Is it heavy?
    Is it loud?

I appreciate your time on this Paul - if i could hear it that'd be brilliant....
  • Its loud - its quite heavy as its an oversized 1x12 combo BUT it is reasonably lift-able and has heavy duty casters fitted as standard.  The 6db Pad could be usefull, as it basically takes the guitar signal down by 6db - but the upshot is both channels become less gainly - so you might find a different clean, or clean ish sound on the lead channel.  

What guitar do you use?  Im assuming tele or strat in a Ska band (I have both along with others so could use what fits best).  I remember those days well.  My first band "The Mistakes" back in 81 ish was a ska covers.  Lots of Specials, Madness, The beat, UB40, the selecter, Bad Manners etc. Im pretty sure the Machete would cover this.  

Ill have a play tomorrow if I get time, on camera.
  • Its loud - its quite heavy as its an oversized 1x12 combo BUT it is reasonably lift-able and has heavy duty casters fitted as standard.  The 6db Pad could be usefull, as it basically takes the guitar signal down by 6db - but the upshot is both channels become less gainly - so you might find a different clean, or clean ish sound on the lead channel.  

What guitar do you use?  Im assuming tele or strat in a Ska band (I have both along with others so could use what fits best).  I remember those days well.  My first band "The Mistakes" back in 81 ish was a ska covers.  Lots of Specials, Madness, The beat, UB40, the selecter, Bad Manners etc. Im pretty sure the Machete would cover this.  

Ill have a play tomorrow if I get time, on camera.
    Lol - cheers Paul! Yes - the specials, madness, bad manners, the beat, some original prince buster etc thats our stuff. Its all easy to play and a lot of fun at gigs as it gets em up and dancing! How did you enjoy the band? What do you do now?

Your right, live I play an american standard tele primarily, I have a dane electro 59 nos that I take out as a back up. For recording I use a Gretsch 5422 TDC. On my board is a DD7, mini spark boost, tube screamer and a bad stone. 

I'd love to see a video. Where are you based?
  • TBH, in my first band I was the Bassist.  I was 13, and a friend at school said "Ive just got a guitar, and theres a used 3/4 bass in the shop - do you want to go halves and start a band?"  35 years later........

In the intervening years, Ive been in original Indie bands, functions bands, soul/blues and americana bands as a guitarist, a country "rock" band and an 80s band as a keyboardist, and ran many a live desk among others projects.  At present Im not gigging, as my wife is working weekends/evenings so while I can find a midweek night to rehearse, I couldnt be sure of availability to gig as I have the kids (10 and 12).  in a couple of years once there older and the wife goes back to day work Ill get back to it. 

I still play a lot at home, do the odd jam, and go to the Notts Amp Fest when its on.  Its partly why I could let the Machete go.  The AFX rig does everything I need at present, and for bands Im likely to join (covers/function stuff) its still the better option.  The Machete has only left my music room 3 times - for trips to said Amp Fests, where its always surprised - and gets used on occasion to "refresh" my mind when creating patches what a real amp "feels" like.

Ill have a crack at a vid later.  I will be "learning" myself to some extent, as Ill try and get it set up in a way you would use - so as many clean/cleanish options as I can get from the 2 channels.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited February 2016
    Ska Band with horns?? - Fender Twin Reverb....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would agree, but big/loud/heavy and wont do the silent direct recording in the OP.  If that wasnt part of the "brief" I wouldnt have mentioned the Machete.

Anyway, Ive attempted a vid - its blinking loud though (and the camera is compressing as its a normal Samsung camera in video mode), so its not as comprehensive as it could be (due to wife issues lol).  Ultimately you either go with a Twin., Or DR for live - then add modelling (hardware or software), or a load box to enable the recording part - or you go for something like the Machete which has the recording ability.  Yes, your getting a channel you probably wont use, but its also a hell of a lot of amp for the money.  Ultimately you'd pay the same (ballpark - no idea on used DR/Twin prices) for the other options then have to add for recording - so does it matter if theres more than you need?

Im Based in Nottingham - I believe the OP is in Wrexham?  Not un-doable.  I get over to Stoke quite often with work, and occasionally north coast of Wales (when covering).  I wouldnt want the OP buying this without testing himself due to its nature, so Im sure something could be sorted one way or another for a trial if hes still interested post video.

** Having watched the Vid back.....half was pointless.  The volume demos just dont work as the camera is compressing/reducing volume as its too loud.  Also, my room is "thin" and my legs got right int he way.  Oh well.  Cant really re-record today as the wife has already mentioned the volume.  I can try and do one in the week perhaps if theres anything you didnt get from the vid but want.**

hope it helps

• Hello Paul

I really appreciate you doing such a comprehensive video. Essentially the point you make at the end is my dilemma - the perfect stage amp (a twin) or the Machete.

Well firstly I have to say there doesn't appear to be a massive amount of difference between the clean tone on the machete and the more traditional fender amps - what do you think?

Secondly I have to confess I don't know anything about these load boxes - I am not sure its a necessary expense. 

Thirdly the connectivity really appeals to me (both for home recording and going straight into the PA live)

Finally your demo (and a few others I've watched) has led me to believe there are a lot of useable tones on the amp for recording or future live work, I am mean I'd never use the really high gain stuff but i liked the tone you got with the gain backed off on the second channel. 

I'd like to play it and think I have found some one who has one not to far away. I'd happily come to Nottingham to collect yours if we can agree a price - how much are you thinking?

Btw - love the music room and the story of how you became a musician - seems like you've had a go at most things! Shame your in Nottingham because were looking for a new keyboardist!  
  • The cleans arnt far off what you expect from a Fender no.  I A/Bd with a Supersonic when I bought mine and though the Super was very box'y and middly in comparison.  There was also a Mesa Royal Atlantic and the two amps were very close to each other on both channels.  

If you have found one local you can try, thats the best idea of course.  You do need to play a little with the controls to get used to how they interact, and then find you tone from there.  Ill pm you regards price for mine.
  • Great thanks Paul. 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Ska band with horns - he doesn't need an amp he needs knuckle dusters.  :ar! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Ska band with horns - he doesn't need an amp he needs knuckle dusters.  :ar! 
    lol - some of the places we play? I'd take em...