Getting a USA combo working in UK

What's Hot
DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
Morning all

I'm in the market for either a Dr Z or ÷13 combo and as there's limited choice in UK I was thinking of importing one from USA. To get it working in UK would it be just a matter of plugging it into a transformer or would there be more work required...

If it's just a transformer, where would be the best place to grab one...

Thanks in advance... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    They'll need a full working visa.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

If it is for "private" use fine but if you are going to gig it I would try to get it supplied with a UK transformer.

"We" always had a few 115V  sample amps kicking about and every few months SOMEBODY would plug them into 230volts! The valve chassis would just blow the mains fuse but sstate kit did not like it up'em! I cannot tell you how other makes would handle the voltage.

Bottom line then IF you go for a US voltage amp take firm steps to prevent prats from sticking it with our mains!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    The standard Maplin 300W stepdown transformer at about £30 is fine for all but the very biggest amps. You can probably get one cheaper if you look around - just make sure it's rated for more than the amp's maximum input (not output) power, and has a through earth connection. You don't need to do anything else.

As Dave says the biggest hazard is if the amp has an IEC power socket for a US mains cable - it's easy for someone to plug it directly into the mains using a different cable, *without* the transformer. If you're lucky it will just blow the fuse and cause no other damage, but if you're unlucky it can get very expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    Thanks for the reply folks - sounds straight forward enough as long as I keep other people away from it...

Should be OK with that - I'm very protective of my stuff :-)

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    DaiCapp said:
    Thanks for the reply folks - sounds straight forward enough as long as I keep other people away from it...

Should be OK with that - I'm very protective of my stuff :-)

Personally I would Superglue an IEC plug in terminated with a US power conn!

Dave.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have a had a couple of amps with Stepdown transformers and they have been buzzy and unpleasant (and heavy) as a result I've developed a bit of a mistrust of them. I'd rather pay he extra to get a uk transformer than screw one of them in. Especially on a high end amp like the ones you describe
    Up to you of course just my narrow opinion :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    I'm not massively keen either, but for some amps there is very little alternative - or none without changing an original transformer and hence 'devaluing' the amp, in the case of something like a Tweed Fender.

For modern amps which are available new in this country I would try to avoid it if at all possible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Cabicular;986332" said:
    I have a had a couple of amps with Stepdown transformers and they have been buzzy and unpleasant (and heavy) as a result I've developed a bit of a mistrust of them. I'd rather pay he extra to get a uk transformer than screw one of them in. Especially on a high end amp like the ones you describe
    Up to you of course just my narrow opinion :)
    Ive been using a step down transformer with my Mesa for 4 years and it's been totally fine.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Peach guitars will get you any dr z uk spec, so there is the full range of choice and colours. /13 buy direct and he will build to uk spec - problem solved
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom