NAD ! What upgrade speaker for a jcm800 combo ?!

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I've been after a jcm800 combo for ages , so I was glad to find one on eBay within an hours drive . I have a jcm800 2203 head , but fancied the combo too. It's a little tatty , but shou,don't take much to smarten up , and it's all original with a service receipt in the back . Sounds great as I'd expect , but I find the stock g12m70 sounds pretty flat compared to plugging it into my vintage30 and g12h30 extension cabs . Any idea what's a good speaker upgrade for these combos ?! photo image_zpsp3lkjplt.jpeg
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    Original G12-65 or G12-80 if you can find one - the 65 is more middy and a bit like a Greenback, the 80 is heavier and more like a G12H-30.

If you can't or you just want a modern speaker, V30 for a more aggressive middy sound, Classic Lead 80 for a brighter clearer sound. If you want a more vintage sound with a new speaker, Creamback G12M-65 or G12H-75, again like a Greenback or an H30. If you want the classic late-80s rock/metal sound, G12T-75.

Almost anything is better than a G12M-70, but I did recently find a use for it… in the solid-state equivalent of these amps, the complete lack of any bottom end or top end at all actually takes away some of the 'transistor-ness' of the sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phase3phase3 Frets: 41
    +1 for G12M-65 creamback -- work really well in these.
  • I might go for the cream back g12h-75 as its what I use in my head / cab rig .
  • I put a 75w Creamback in that exact combo and it sounds amazing, massive improvement over the stock speaker

• let me know if you ever want to move that amp on

• I put a 75w Creamback in that exact combo and it sounds amazing, massive improvement over the stock speaker
    thanks , i reckon I'll go for that.
  • I have a heritage G12-65 in my 4010 combo and also have the matching 1933 cab in which I have put a creamback G12M-65. Both very nice speakers but perhaps a subtle difference. The creamback is definitely brighter and the 4010 being a bright amp in itself can sometimes get a bit too much esp with a bright bridge pickup. The g12-65 sounds smoother and manages the bright amp better I think.