Eminence beta 10a's for guitar?

BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
edited February 2016 in Amps
I'm going to convert my 2x12 to a 2x10. I'm looking for a reasonably affordable speaker that doesn't break up too much. Anyone have any experience with these? I know a lot of people use them for bass and PA stuff
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    You might find them a bit stiff and muddy-sounding for guitar, most bass/PA 10s are. It's normal because they need to have the cone movement more tightly controlled to prevent damage with bass frequencies.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah OK that's good to know. I'm after something with minimal speaker break up. I've got evs in my main cab and I love the clarity of those. Any suggestions on a 10" driver with a similar characteristic? @icbm
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    The Eminence Rajin Cajun seems pretty good for that - it's one of the few Eminence guitar speakers I don't find too middy/tight. It's not *that* cheap, but it's a lot less than an EV I think.

There's a good clue in the magnet weight and sensitivity - a bigger magnet generally gives more highs and lows (other things being more or less equal) and a high sensitivity indicates a more free-moving cone and means you need to push the amp less to get the same volume, so it will stay cleaner.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein