School me on 15" speakers...

What's Hot
ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
edited February 2016 in Amps
I'd like to add a 15" extension cab to my 2x10" combo, to bring a little more warmth into the picture - but, other than a brief loan of a Fender Twin '68 Custom 15, a quick demo of a Musicman RP15 and many many years listening to my grandfather's old (but still rather epic) valve radiogram, I don't have much experience with them.

Any recommendations?

It wouldn't be used for high gain stuff, btw.  Just; clean, break-up and 'saucy' drive.

Many thanks for all advice given!
Not much of the gear, even less idea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    I love fifteens for guitar.

What combo is it and what speakers are in there?

I've a Tayden in one cab, an Eminence Big Ben in another and an early 70s Marshall 4x15 loaded with Celestion G15.
  • It's a re-housed Fender Blues Junior that's now in a solid mahogany cab with two Jenson C10Q's.  It's lovely, but I just feel it's missing a little something from the bottom end.  I've tried adding various Celestion, Eminence and Two Rock 12"'s to the mix, but nothing sounds quite as good as the Twin Custom 15 that I borrowed.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I fancy adding a 2x15 to my 2x12 Mesa for heavy stuff so alternative recommendations appreciated here too. :D
  • davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    I know Jensen do a few 15s. Check to make sure the sensitivity in dbs is the same otherwise one cab will drown out the other.
    All the Eminence I've seen are around 103 db and they're loud.
    Check Weber out too. I quite like some of there stuff.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3183
    tFB Trader
    I really like the WGS G15C. Unless you can find either an EV, JBL or Altec of course :)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    I love the old Celestion 'spider frame' 15s. They're not as deep and clean as you might expect, they sound like a slightly more scooped Greenback. They're not too rare or valuable, since most people don't rate 15s for guitar and they're no good for bass by modern standards because of the low power rating.

Don't assume you'll get the tone of a Custom Twin with one - or any 15 - though, at least half of that is the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    RiftAmps said:
    ...unless you can find either an EV, JBL or Altec of course :)

OK, this is definitely where I need the education.  Are all of those out of production now?  I'm not sure how happy I'd be buying secondhand speakers blind... 
    :-S
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31016
    Juat bear in mind when doing this that combining 10's and 15's gives a completely different depth of sound (literally) as the completed sound wave cycles from the 10" get to your ears a darn sight faster than the 15" and can make the overall sound a bit confused.

For me 15" are better for slide guitar.

(my opinion above- YMMV).

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33858
    I've never had any compelling reason to move away from 12" speakers.
    15" just seems to add more weight and a slightly different EQ curve that I then EQ out.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I had a 4 ohm 15" Peavey Black Widow in a Twin (actually a Dual Showman Reverb) for a little while, and as a single-speaker solution, it wasn't ideal.  Lots of huge thick warm bass and low mids, but not enough sparkle for general guitar use.  If you were using it in a dedicated extension cab, combined with something brighter or more traditionally "guitar", it would probably work well.

I replaced it with a Jensen C15K, which I'm liking a lot more.  Needs more break in, but it's definitely working far far better on its own than the Black Widow.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    The Celestion fullback is worth a listen.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16206
    Eminence Big Ben for a really meaty bassy British Sound.........guess it could work well with something bright to give a defined scoop