Buying a New Amp - DRRI

What's Hot
Hello

I'm currently looking to downsize from my 1994 "Twin Amp" Twin Reverb to something considerably lighter, that I can turn past 2.

I play mainly alternative/indie rock (Interpol/Radiohead) sounds and get all of my overdrive/distortion needs from pedals.

I've been contemplating buying the following amps.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Deluxe Reverb 68
Fender Deluxe Reverb 65

Has anyone got any experience with the above amps? How do they compete with a drummer unmic'd?
Typically for gigs the amp will be mic'd up, but at our rehearsal studio I've got my Twin angle'd back at me. It's competing with a loud drummer and with another guitarist who uses a HRD.

Any advice?
Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have played a HRD live in mny bands for approaching 10 years now and its never let me down.

If youre mic'd up most of the time you shouldnt really need to worry about volume (to a point) but Ive never played a gig that the HR cant handle. Anything bigger than a pub or medium sized venue and Im almost certian youd be micing up anyways.

The HRD seems to get a fair amount of flack for being "boring" or the drive sound not being great but if youre using pedals for dirt then you can discount that issue. Rergarding it being boring I put that down to just how popular/common they are. In short I love mine, have tried replacing it a couple of times with more expensive purchases (a result of sheer snobbery) but mine has never let me down at a gig.

How very rock and roll
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Yep me too, HRD is Fenders most successful combo ever (in terms of uninterupted production and sheer numbers overall). You don't need to be a genius to wonder why.
    They just Nike it.

• Excellent.

Thanks guys for your opinions. Agreed, I seem to see alot of snobbery towards the HRD's without any real reasoning behind it beyond some relatively xenophobic responses.

I've spied a George Benson HRD going for sale, anyone used one?

• koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    I've recently just bought a George Benson HRD, seems great so far. About to take it on a 5 week tour.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I'm probably in a bit of a minority but I found my DRRi a bit gutless. I have a HRDX now and it just seems better in most ways.
  • koss59 said:
    I've recently just bought a George Benson HRD, seems great so far. About to take it on a 5 week tour.
    Koss, be interesting to get your feedback on the amp in a 'real' touring situation...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    If you want something 'considerably lighter' than a Twin then that is pretty wide spread.

I mean Belgium is marginally lighter than a Twin.

(you should try a Tone King.)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The DR 68 sounded great at the Guitar Show, IMO a huge step up from the 65 model. More touch responsive and a much beefier sound from the Celestion speaker. I saw Los Pacaminos a while back and Jamie Moses used a HRD and it sounded great so I wouldn't dismiss one of those.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    koss59 said:
    Koss, be interesting to get your feedback on the amp in a 'real' touring situation...
    @Wazmeister I was going to take my Rambler but it's not insured yet and won't fit my flight case well so I bought this Hotrod to tour with.
    It sounds great so far. To be fair a lot of the time whilst doing tours you use rented back line anyway so may as well get use to using hotrods cause that's often what you get!
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72771
    edited February 2016
    I will throw a spanner in the works and say just keep the Twin. You won't find anything else that sounds as good or covers as many different situations. Yes, it's heavy. It also has the best clean sound of any easily available amp, and it will never be not loud enough.

In my opinion that particular one has the best crunch overdrive sound of any modern Fender amp too, on the 'yellow' mode of the first channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BGGBGG Frets: 690
    I love gigging my 68 Custom, keeps up with my loud drummer no problem and it doesn't usually get above 4-5 on the volume ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
  • BGG said:
    I love gigging my 68 Custom, keeps up with my loud drummer no problem and it doesn't usually get above 4-5 on the volume ;)
    how long does it stay clean for mate?
  • Richardj;987937" said:
    I'm probably in a bit of a minority but I found my DRRi a bit gutless. I have a HRDX now and it just seems better in most ways.
    They are PROBABLY my favourite amp ever but they ARE gutless if pushed...it can work but it needs some careful EQ'ing or they mush up like nobody's business.

DRRI + Strat Neck Pickup + Tubescreamer with a TINY amount of dirt and slight bass cut = perfection!
  • Well I ended up going for a George Benson HRD in the end. I managed to get it for fairly cheap and I'm excited for it. It looks and sounds pretty beautiful!