Friedman & Matchless

andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited January 2017 in Amps
This combo works well.

Not sure what Matchless do to to mod the G12m-25 and G12h-30 but it works.  Especially on the Smallbox Plexi channel.  I've decided I like low wattage drivers (as long as I don't blow them).

I've got Friedman's own 2 x 12 closed back with v30's but I think that may be better with the higher gain heads to be honest.  It never worked for me on the Smallbox Ch 1 Plexi.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have always struggled with the Friedman 2x12 cab. I think it is the cab not the speakers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I just like opened backs in general.
  • Me too.
    Matchless is such a classy cabinet.  Smallbox is an inch or so narrower so perfect fit.
  • It looks cool. I don't worry about what it looks like though. I go out with some right sights. LOL.
    I want to sort an open back panel for the Friedman as it looks so cool (mines got the heritage grille)
    I switched out one of the v30's for a G12h-75.
  • I use H75's. Is it a good mix with a V30? Never mixed speakers before but fancy having a go.
    I can't really say as it's hard to do a back to back comparison and I didn't play the original enough for the sound to be stuck in my head.

I'm all up for mixing drivers.  The Matchless cab does it particularly well.  I practice sitting pretty close to it slanted towards me and you are never aware of the two discrete drivers...it's just a great big cohesive sound.