Dr Z M12

preston61preston61 Frets: 690

So I have come across this amp because there is one fairly local to me on sale (its in Cardiff). When I look on the Dr Z site I can see that it says that it is designed for pedals with good headroom, however it is only 12 watts?

How can an amp with only 12 watts have good headroom? I know the Dr Z amps are hella loud, but 12 watts from my understanding is going to break up pretty quickly even with single coils.

Any one here got one or tried one they could chip in with here?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited February 2016
    Yes Z's are loud, but 12 watts is 12 watts. Depends on what you're going to use it for. I'm familiar with a few Z's, but not the M12, try the Dr Z forum, there's loads of discussion on the M12 here:

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've heard they break up pretty soon , but soon is relative. My Maz 18 stays clean very loud in my opinion, certainly more than loud enough to gig clean
  • These are 'Z' watts and they tend to be LOUD !!!

The M12 is designed to be a 'good pedal platfrom'
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    M12 isn't as good a pedal platform as a Maz.

I tried one at Peach and found it a bit thin sounding and when I hit it with my pedal (I took one with me as I really wanted to try it with a pedal I knew) it clipped hard and sounded harsh. Plus its a small cab and sounded very boxey. Would be better through a big cab but still, it does that EL84 thing of being a bit fussy as to how hard you can push it.

IMO the EZG is the best pedal platform out there. Very unfussy, big bold bass, not too toppy, clean, responds with some sag and nice harmonics when pushed at the front end .
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9628
    I agree about the EZG mate
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    I agree about the EZG mate
    Tried a Z-Wreck? 

I did a few gigs using @MattG's one as a clean pedal platform while my Blackstar was away. 

Yes it's expensive, and arguably it's a bit of a waste using it just as a pedal platform rather than cranking the heck out of it and letting it do its own thing, but at any volume short of earth shattering[1] it's got massive headroom, still seems to sprinkle it's own bit of extra magic when you push the front end with a dirt and/or boost pedal[2] and it sounds absolutely magnificent...

[1] And my god is it loud...

[2] Yes, you'd think loads of (apparently) completely clean headroom and responding to being pushed would be mutually incompatible, but somehow it manages it...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I must agree with @hywelg ... I had an M12 in a trade a few years ago, and Boxy is the best word that comes to mind too! If you do have a play with one, I found that the position of the tone controls was vital to the headroom you get!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I'm not sure how DR.Z get there power rating but a Z Watt is not the same as a standard watt, my 30 watt Z-Wreck is a damn site louder than the other guitarists 100 watt 6505 even when ran through identical speakers and im pretty sure it could give a series 1 100 a run for its money as well volume wise.
    I have gigged alongside both of the other amps and at no stage has my volume reached 9 o'clock yet and it still remains completely clean and is just as loud if not at times louder than the other guitarists.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    How is the Z Wreck on output valves? My old Maz 38 used to need a fresh set every 6-8 weeks!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Pete24v said:
    How is the Z Wreck on output valves? My old Maz 38 used to need a fresh set every 6-8 weeks!
    had mine since October and hasnt needed a new set yet :)