Orange CR120 - impressed

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2016
    tone1 said:
    My YouTube guilty please 'Dave' has a series of vids where he gets his cr120 to sound like various artists

@tone1 ;; TY so much for mentioning this.  What an interesting series!  I listened to a load of them after last night's gig and I'm like.... shit, I didn't realise there's so much more in this amp!  I'm really looking forward to tonight's gig -- I can feel it's gonna be more amp + guitar volume control; less pedal(s).  1 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    @Grunfeld Glad you liked it...he's mad as a box of frogs, but I really like him as an antidote to today's modern, slick style of presenting  :)
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Grunfeld said:
    tone1 said:
    My YouTube guilty please 'Dave' has a series of vids where he gets his cr120 to sound like various artists

@tone1 ;; TY so much for mentioning this.  What an interesting series!  I listened to a load of them after last night's gig and I'm like.... shit, I didn't realise there's so much more in this amp!  I'm really looking forward to tonight's gig -- I can feel it's gonna be more amp + guitar volume control; less pedal(s).  1 
    I'm a big fan of this guy too, I find him genuinely likeable and he certainly made me go back to my CR60C with a fresh pair of ears.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    They do sound very good.

What's quite puzzling about them is that they're not digital - they're plain old analogue solid state, and from the pics I've seen of the insides they don't contain any types of components that haven't been available since about the 1980s at the latest...

... so why has it taken this long either for someone to make a solid-state amp that sounds this good, or alternatively to make people actually listen before judging them. (Because there have actually been good-sounding solid-state amps before, too.)

That's what's amazed me about the CR120 too; there's no new tech there.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    I seem to be having a similar experience to others who encounter this amp. The rehearsal space has a CR120 and it sounds really, really good. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I actually found that I liked demos of the CR120 more than any other orange amp! I considered getting one before I went all marshall.