Running three amps?

What's Hot
Hey folks!

I want to run three amps at the same time, and am looking for a suitable device to link them up. I would say "a switcher", but I don't want to select between the amps, just have them running all at the same time. Can you guys suggest a suitable method? Ta muchly!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12024
    2 ABY pedals chained
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not that I'm an expert, but I believe I should look for something decent to help with phasing, ground loops, etc... Something like the Radial stuff, but... one more... (Louder...)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

How exactly do you want to hook them up?

Mode 1 (say) active guitar splitter with transformer feed in each line to each amp.

Mode 2, Guitar into amp 1 then slave from FX send to amp 2 split (poss with traff) to amp 3.

One idea would be a small mixer fed from a buffer then you would have L & R out plus an Aux out, all with level control.

But my personal first try would be a 4 jack passive splitter then sort out the hum loops!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    The Lehle Dual SGOS can be used with three amps, if you use the tuner output for the third amp. It probably does a lot more than you need though, and isn't cheap.

Probably the easiest is just to get someone like Bright Onion to build one, it's very simple - just one straight-through connection and two with isolating transformers and phase switches should take care of any issues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GigRig G2 + Humdinger.

G2 L + R out gives you two amps, you use the Humdinger to add a third.

I believe Dan talks about it in this vid.

R.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Voodoo labs do a great 4 amp switcher with individual level controls
  • Morley Tripler. I use it to send my live signal to the amp, vocalist harmoniser and a couple of pedals on a separate board. Each output can be independently controlled on/off.

Its a cool piece of kit that just works.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33863
    Is this a gigging rig?
    I can't think of a place I'd be able to play that would tolerate me having 3 amps on stage.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28869
    Microcube line array?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33863
    Wall of Pignose?
  • Ampete amp box.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8553
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think the triage or the 2 bright onion pedals are the best option, they are the only ones with full phase switching and ground lifts.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    3 way ABY:
    An ABCY,
    Or would it be an ABCW
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5181
    This is probably a dumb question for the electronicsy crew here, but I don't know the answer.

One of the reasons I imagine someone might want to run a three-amp rig is to have a wet/dry/wet setup. I notice that the Palmer splitter above only has one input and three outputs, which means you'd need to run any stereo/panning effects after the splitter. 

Does doing that in any way undo the isolation that the splitter creates?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.