I've gone pedal mad....

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
My brain can't take any more...and the some of the responses of my last thread have confirmed to me that, yes, I've been overGAS'ing like an eejit. So, helpful though, this forum is, I'm going to stop bothering you so often with my eejit questions, spend less time on forums and overquestioning what pedals I want need and...actually get my head into playing/composing and out of what gear I might want or need one week then not the next.

I have a good friend who works in a guitar shop who's going to sell some pedals for me for a decent sum, I'll cancel some preorders, and stop hurting my own head overthinking what combinations of pedals I need and just f***ing play.

I've already recently had this feeling, and posted about it here, the feeling went, then I bought more stuff, and the GAS came back, so I need to stop being daft with my 1st World bloody problems and concentrate on playing. As I've already said...

Please say I'm not the only one who's been through this stage?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    Yep. Just play. Limitations with gear mean you have to come up with interesting ways of sounding good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4604
    Thank you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas;989450" said:
    Thank you
    For....?
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    I've just sold loads of pedals i don't need and use and bought an new amp :D

Can see the collection building up again though...
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4604
    BintyTwanger77;989458" said:
    [quote="DesVegas;989450"]Thank you
    For....?
    [/quote]

Showing us we are not alone with our passion for pedals

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9609
    Ive had 3 years or so of obsession.., and now (with the Fx8) ive been released :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    You sound a bit hard on yourself.

Yes play the gear you have. Fret some notes with your fingers rather than fret in the mind about purchases.

But remember, part of the fun with what we do is trying and buying new gear. So long as the GASsing is in proportion to playing you'll be right.
  • DesVegas;989546" said:
    [quote="BintyTwanger77;989458"][quote="DesVegas;989450"]Thank you
    For....?
    [/quote]

Showing us we are not alone with our passion for pedals

[/quote]

:) No, you're very much not alone there.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
    edited March 2016
    @Skarloey Wise words, yes maybe I've been too hard on myself, but I do think I've been tying myself in knots buying pedals unnecessarily.
  • @Wazmeister I've read a lot about the Fx8, it looks fairly daunting.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I think we all go there at one point. 
    but you have twigged that the most important thing is to play and thats good :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited March 2016
    @meltedbuzzbox Yep, it seems blindingly obvious and yet it's so easy to forget that it's all about technique and enjoying playing, not seeing how many different delays you can cram on a Nano + :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    its whatever works for you mate.
    I just know personally I think you can get more variation in the way you play the guitar with different rhythms and scales/flavours over mushing up noise with a lot of pedals. 

Dont get me wrong though, I love a good pedal :-)
    If I still smoked weed I dare say I would have some great sessions dribbling away with copious amounts of delay and flanger
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    BT
    You should enter the monthly competitions for solo of the month riff of the month and raw riff of the month
    I find they are a great motivator into producing even a short bit of music
    Everyone is very supportive and it's not all about technical ability (well it is for me but I don't win when I do that ;). )
    Nothing like a deadline to get your arse into gear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7801
    Just try as many as you can, buy and sell. Then stick with what you like.
    Try the basic food groups like: fuzz face, rat, ts9, big muff, guvnor, see what you like & then try the higher class versions later.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I don't obsess over the details of the pedals I've got, as long as there's enough of a horde that I can strip naked and pretend to be Smaug, laying on them, I don't mind..

that reminds me I've a few I want to sell...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    frankus said:
    I don't obsess over the details of the pedals I've got, as long as there's enough of a horde that I can strip naked and pretend to be Smaug, laying on them, I don't mind..

that reminds me I've a few I want to sell...
    I'm not buying them unless you can assure me they've been thoroughly cleaned after your Smaug antics.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    I've never tried the naked Smaug test...yet...clearly missing out.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    No. I've always been a 'no effects; plug into the amp and forget about it' man.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Gassage That's very easy when you have a lovely Twin Reverb to plug straight into.