New setup for home advice needed (Matrix W/D/W or Monitors?)

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3484
edited March 2016 in Amps
Hi,
I’m currently building a setup that will be quite versatile and will be used at home for both practice and recording. I’ve learned a lot from people on here and decided to sell my two 5w Laney Lionheart amps (run in stereo) and wanted to follow the dream of getting a Mesa Dual Rec and a Reeves Custom 50. Huge amps, I hear you say, and totally overkill for home use.

The reason I’ve done it is because technology has finally caught up and I’m hoping I can enjoy the tones and sounds I’ve always wanted through using a quality load box (I’ve got a Suhr Reactive Load on order). I’ve tried to emulate these sounds with pedals and other amps, but can’t get the sound I’m after, so this is my choice...agree with it or not! :-)

So my main question is how do I get the best out of this kind of set up:

Dual Rec / Reeves C50 -> (amp/cab switcher eventually - for now, it’s manual) -> SRL -> Torpedo CAB (on order) -> Stereo FX -> ???

I’ve always wanted a stereo set up and got that with the Laney’s and it sounded amazing, but now I’m doing this, I want to get it amazing...so am thinking W/D/W.

I have been researching Matrix amps and found that they have a 3 channel power amp, GT1500FX-BD, this seems perfect for what I want to achieve, then I’d run into some FRFR speakers and done. However, as much as I love this idea, space could be an issue, but that aside, I’m more concerned that with 12” speakers in each cabinet, would I be able to get the low volumes I require for home use? Does anyone have any experience with Matrix speakers and using them at whisper volume to good effect? I won’t be using them quietly all the time, in fact, my neighbours are great and can turn up quite often. But will need them to be quiet on occasions. PS, I met the guy from Matrix amps on the weekend, what a genuinely lovely chap, really helpful and kind.

Alternatively, I could just run into a pair of Adam A7X monitors. Smaller speakers and perfect for home use, I’d imagine. However, I’m concerned that it won’t feel like I’m playing through an amp and won’t keep that feel of playing through a real speaker cabinet. I’m also concerned that I’d lose that ability to do W/D/W, is there a way of feeding a third monitor? Would be a really weird looking setup with an Adam A7X in the middle of the desk, for example, as opposed to three nice looking Matrix wedges sitting on the floor.

It may look like I’ve already got a good idea of what my preferred option is, however, it’s not clean cut and I have my concerns about both methods.

There’s also the recording it all, part...I’m going to need the Adam A7X’s for mixing, and was hoping to run something like EZDrummer through the monitors to accompany my practice sessions. I wouldn’t particularly want to run a drum track through the Matrix speakers, for example.

So there’s lots to think about. I’m sorry for the long post. I’d really appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Thank you!
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think the best thing about SS power sections is that they sound the same at every volume, you can get very quiet without affecting tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @olafgarten, do you have any experience with the Matrix stuff? I was a little concerned that at quiet volumes, the FRFR 12" speakers wouldn't perform, but I'm only basing this on an assumption, not experience.

• I suppose the bottom line is "is any speaker capable of performing to it's best at low volume?". Even guitar speakers will struggle to some extent but one of the things that full range usually has a slight advantage in, is the HF (high frequency) driver which usually handles most of the frequencies for the guitar side of things. Usually a small efficient driver so it's doesn't need to be "pumping". Think studio monitor type of thing. Bottom end is generally the one to suffer as that requires the speaker (either guitar of FR) to be working a bit harder to provide some excursion (speaker moving backwards and forwards). With FRFR you'll probably lose a bit of the interaction at that lower volume (again like studio monitors) so it may well be worth thinking of a hybrid system with a normal guitar cab providing the dry center signal and the FRFR providing the wet side of things. You get the versatility of a different tone from using cab sims on the wet (which don't have to be 100% wet either) and a "core" signal through the guitar cab which'll give you a bit more interaction (feedback at lower volumes is easier). The amp shouldn't be a problem and as other have said, you'll get a bit more control over solid state volume. Apart from Fletcher Munson curve (highs and lows sounding lower at low volumes) the tone should be similar.
    Matrix Amplification Product Elf and Guitar Demonstrator!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that's really helpful. Thank you so much for your advice on that @lightninboy, really appreciate it. Didn't think of using a proper cab.

Which setup is better for my use case, FRFR with power amp or studio monitors? Am I likely to get better sound/feel using one method over another?

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    I'm doing s similar thing with a Two Notes Reload, my dry signal is direct out of the head (via Reload attenuator) but the line out from the reload goes to my Eventide H9s. They then run to a Mesa 50/50. I was using a GT800FX but the Mesa adds some warmth and colour which I quite like.

• Nice, I bet that sounds awesome!

I'm leaning toward Matrix's new FR12 active speakers, kind of wanted the power amp for ease of volume tuning, but these new cabs seem good.

Anyone know of a way to control volume on active monitors a bit easier than reaching behind the speaker all the time? Really inconvenient (especially if I have two speakers running in stereo!)