Sound "fades in and out"!

What's Hot
StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
edited March 2016 in FX
Hello all. I've put this query in the fx category purely due to the fact that the issue hasn't arisen when I play directly through to my amp from the guitar. I have recently purchased three fx pedals that I have used all together for the first time today. The circuit is guitar...compressor/limiter.....multi effects pedal.....looper....amp. Things were going OK but there are occasions where the volume from the amp seems to fade out....and back in again. It doesn't cut out like maybe an iffy guitar lead. I keep strumming and sound fades in again! Not good when I'm trying to play the solo Kon Tiki by The Shadows!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've had this before and it turned out to be a dodgy patch lead. Try replacing them all 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    Make sure the multi effects pedal is not set to a very slow tremolo too
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So the looper or compressor pedals could have a tremolo effect too?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Sounds like a dodgy cable to me too. Maybe clean all your inputs/outputs and jack plugs with IPA or switch cleaner first -  it could just be a dirty contact.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've had dodgy patch leads that do the fade in/out thing. Otherwise it could be wobbly jack sockets.
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited August 2016
    Might be time for a new amp. I could take mine to an amp techie for a repair but I don't think that it would be cost effective cos I got it second hand for 20 notes. The intermittent volume fade in/out is back but now it seems to have more issues. 1) Get a buzzing sound when I press the overdrive channel switch which gets louder with higher gain level. The buzz reduces if I touch the strings or other metal parts on guitar. 2) Can't turn reverb up past No 4  cos it starts humming. 3) Gotta keep the 'lo' dial on the eq knobs to under 2 because, yes, I get a hum! 
    So I'm reading the 'Best amp for home use' thread with interest.
  • Maybe not be too hasty about getting a new amp. I think a lot of the above mentioned problems have arisen due to my new guitar having single coil pickups! Aided and abetted by playing in a room with an aluminium framed bookcase being approx two feet away from the guitar. I've set up guitar and amp in another room in the house....with better results. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Might be time for a new amp. I could take mine to an amp techie for a repair but I don't think that it would be cost effective cos I got it second hand for 20 notes.
    What amp is it? Just because you got it cheap doesn't necessarily mean it isn't worth fixing. Especially if it's a good amp that was cheap because it has an intermittent fading-out issue… although that could also be due to a cable or a faulty switch on one of the pedals, or other issues with them.
    StanleyAccrington said:

Get a buzzing sound when I press the overdrive channel switch which gets louder with higher gain level. The buzz reduces if I touch the strings or other metal parts on guitar.
    Completely normal. It's picking up noise from the guitar and amplifying it.
    StanleyAccrington said:

Can't turn reverb up past No 4  cos it starts humming.
    That could be a fault in the reverb tank, or noisy surroundings. The reverb transducers are basically like single-coil guitar pickups, so they will also pick up noise and hum.

I think a lot of the above mentioned problems have arisen due to my new guitar having single coil pickups!
    That will definitely not help...

Aided and abetted by playing in a room with an aluminium framed bookcase being approx two feet away from the guitar. I've set up guitar and amp in another room in the house....with better results. 
    The bookcase shouldn't make any difference, but you may also have an earthing problem, or a noisy environment - does your room contain a computer, dimmer lights, a phone charger, or assorted other modern electrical gear?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• babysnakebabysnake Frets: 21
    edited August 2016
    the fade in and out thing also happens if you are powering your pedals with battery's that need replacing.
  • Hello all. I'm playing directly into a Kustom combo 20 watt amp (not valve). The volume cutout hasn't occurred when I played on it for an hour this morning. No dimmer switches/computers or chargers in the room. Only a table lamp !!! (that is switched off). The problem is that I can't differentiate between 'normal' single coil hum or if the guitar or amp have other issues. The guitar is a week on from purchase date so I'm thinking of going back to shop and see how it plays on their amps. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    How are you powering the pedals? It may be a not enough juice type issue
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • My one and only pedal is powered by a power supply (not battery). It's getting to the point where I might invest in a multimeter and try some testing of the pedal continuity.

• LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited October 2016
    Sounds like an amp issue to me.

The little Roland Blues Cube amps look good.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Check the cheapest items first - pedal batteries/psu, cables etc
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback