Can you recommend me a versatile overdrive/distortion that is battery powered?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Also been looking for a simple 'don't want to fire up everything' solution, just play.
    I know its not a boutique pedal but have you considered a Palmer pocket amp
    Either into an amp or on its own. Seems like you would get all the sounds you mention. 
    I like that its also a way of enabling headphone practice but being able to still use other pedals/looper in front of it too if you want… 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    Palmer pocket amp is interesting but same problem as a lot of these as you can't try it anywhere.
    I'm off to andertons this Thursday afternoon to attempt a purchase. Will give some feedback if people are interested.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Worth trying the MI Effects Crossover Drive when you're there, its really versatile with guitar volume knob… have fun! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Fulltone OCD or clone like Joyo/Harley Benton Ultimate drive if you want to do it on the cheap.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    edited March 2016 tFB Trader
    allen said:
    Cols;993416" said:
    Not on your list, but a RAT should cover it.
    They say that a lot on TGP too. Got to try one.

No - seriously if you think the Rat is suitable - look at the ThorpyFX Warthog - far superior distortion whilst coming from the same place in terms of intent, although if you prefer overdrive to distortion you may be better looking at the ThorpyFX Gunshot.
    If you are going to Andertons then you could try them out there.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited March 2016
    OK,

here's a bit of feedback after going to andertons

First couple of revelations:
    - it's not that easy trying/comparing pedals in a guitar shop - it all takes so much time, etc.
    - my ears and playing aren't that good so I'm never quite sure what I'm looking for or show it in the best light.

I tried the following pedals, based on my brief to the sales chap of flexible with both low gain and classic rock - which he took literally as having 2 channels

Xotic BB+ 
    I found it pretty meh. Can't describe it.

Fulltone GT-500
    Also pretty meh.

Stax Master
    I liked it initially, and it was more in the ballpark in the first two. The tone control seemed to go from fluffy to woolly, so not quite right.

MI Audio Super Blues Pro
    A lot of sounds in this one, but I didn't really like them.

Tight Drive
    Too many switches (I could mostly hear the difference), wide range of gain - pretty good sound to me, but a bit modern sounding and a couple of the knobs had one sweet spot and that was it.

Bogner Ecstasy Blue
    This was the best one, but...

a) I never had that 'this is it' moment of perfection
    b) The boost gives a massive volume increase even on zero volume so was difficult to audition it.

And then I ran out of time...the quest continues

At the moment I'm shortlisting
    Bogner Blue
    Truetone jekyll and hyde(808 with a marshall shredmaster) or VSXO (808 and ODR-1)
    Jetter Red Squared

The trouble with those 3 is that one is in Coda, one in Andertons and one in Guitar Village - gets a bit difficult to  try them back to back.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    just buy the nobels odr and save yourself a lot of money and grief 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

"Blackstar LT Distortion"

Yes Mike but since OP said "versatile"...LT-Dual.

Dave.

• mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    I really like the MI Audio Crossover Drive. Goes from almost clean boost to bordering fuzz when maxed out. Another option could be the Emma Electronics Reezafratzitz. It's mostly a distortion, at least in my eyes, but it does lover gain stuff very well.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    All this effort for a pedal that you want to "whip out for 20 mins" and use occasionally in the living room!!!
    How very rock and roll
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Cheap (so you can knock it about), battery, versatile (two output types if you move the jack plug or Stereo with a clean edge) and decent sounding. This will not put your Booteek pedals to shame but it is very versatile and decent sounding, just unplug the input when you're finished else the battery won't last long (as with all battery powered pedals).

Arion SOD-1

Thanks for everyone's input - I've bought the bogner ecstasy blue.

I tried it again today at Andertons with the objective of achieving
    - Hendrix clean with a hint of throatiness
    - SRV 
    - 70s Marshall

A couple of helpful fellow shoppers twiddled knobs while I played SRV riffs until it was dialled in for that - took about a minute. Hendrix and Led Zep were easy to dial in.

I also compared it to
    - Wampler Clarksdale - I really don't like tubescreamers
    - Lovepedal Amp 11 - the boost side was really nice, but the amp side was a bit like the SL drive i.e. it can't do low gain very well
    - Suhr Koko boost - I didn't spend much time with it, but it sounded really good to my ears. I think if I was an actual musician playing gigs rather than arsing about copying other guitar players' licks then I'd have probably gone for this.

Thanks for all your input everyone. If I ever get round to it I'll do a youtube demo.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Try an OCD.  It's the best Fulltone pedal by far.
  • FaCowFaCow Frets: 40
    Boss BD-2 pretty versatile