SORTED! Preamp valves :)  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    As always, check the power valves.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    edited March 2016
    More likely a preamp valve, especially if different on each channel.

Replace each of the preamp valves in turn with a known good spare 12AX7, or if you don't have one, swap them around. If it makes no difference at all, chances are it's not a valve fault. If the noise changes or goes away it is.

If not it *may* be worth changing the power valves but they're more expensive and it might not fix it, so I would probably have it looked at by someone before spending money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 921
    Thanks both :)

I've tried to do a bit of googling and I suspect it's a dead-end but does anyone know if the standard Fender warranty is longer than a year?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    Thanks both :)

I've tried to do a bit of googling and I suspect it's a dead-end but does anyone know if the standard Fender warranty is longer than a year?
    Two years I think. @MattFGBI will confirm, hopefully.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 921
    Oooh, that gives me hope!  I've no idea how old it is as I'm not the original owner (hopefully that doesn't roger me either) but I have the serial number if it's possible to check!

Thanks ICBM (and @MattFGBI too, in advance!)
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    It must be older than 2 years as they've been discontinued longer than that. And warranty only covers the original owner too.

I suspect its a bad preamp valve - 90% of rustling leaves in an amp normally are. And valves are only covered for the first 3 months.

Sorry, that's not a very cheerful post!

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com